General discussion

transfer rate/download speed

im having problems with my download speed/transfer rate. i have verizon DSL 768kbs, and i recentley tested my bandwith and got 720kbs. when i download videos off a website my transfer rate is 40kbs. i called verizon there is no problems on thier side, router works fine(strength is always good/excellent and speed is 54.0 or 24.0 Mps) i have a wireless network so i plugged the PC directly to router and got the same results. is there anyway for me to increase my transfer rate to match or come close to 768kbs? BTW the website im download videos is a paid adult web site, feel i should give full disclosure for the best advice Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: transfer rate/download speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: transfer rate/download speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Won't happen . . .

Because every and all web sites will download differently. Reason being is all use different approaches concerning hardware. Different backbone, different hops, different time of day, different load, and the list goes on. Sorry, it's just the way the Internet is built.

Wayne (IBM freak - 7)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

- Collapse -
transfer rate

thanks for the

- Collapse -
To pinpoint what could cause dsl slow down is not easy.

Aside from what Coryphaeus mentioned; here are some other things you might check. Make sure there is a filter for every devices that is connected to the phone line and that 5 devices is the maximum. And in my own particular case, I had a light dimmer switch that cause my dsl service to be cut off. Who is your service provider? Maybe they might have a Q&A website that may give you more hinds. Good luck.

CNET Forums