Question

Transfer over files from my new Mac to an external drive?

I recently got a new Macbook Air with very limited memory space. I got an external drive that is specifically formatted for the Mac so I know its not accidentally for Windows or something.
Basically I want to drag some movies and photos and stuff over to the external drive and then delete them off my Macbook Air so I have more room and less clutter (and I know I shouldn't keep them just on external in case of corruption but I'm not worried about that at the moment). However whenever I try to delete the file off my laptop it deletes the file in the external drive as well!
My friend says this is because I can't just drag it over to the drive because it only make a shortcut or whatever, but neither of us know how to make it not be a shortcut.
This is probably a dumb question but I'm really quite hopeless and every question I've browsed the solution is always that the drive is formatted wrong (for Windows) but I doubt that's the case since my drive is FOR Macs.

Help?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Transfer over files from my new Mac to an external drive?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Transfer over files from my new Mac to an external drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Just a comment.

I've lost count of discussions where folk drag over files, delete the original and then rush to the forums to ask how to get their files back.

In other words, where is the back copy?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: external

What happens if you disconnect the external drive while deleting the original? It can't be deleted then there! If it really is a shortcut, it will point to a file that doesn't exist any more so give an error.

As a precaution: don't really delete the original, just rename it or move it a different folder.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Are you asking how to move
- Collapse -
Answer
transfer files

Hi
connect drive to laptop go to disc utility and see the drive in the left hand pane high life it then click the erase tab on the top and then you will see the format of the drive you want Mac OS Extended (journaled) click the arrows at the right side to change if you do format the drive it will take approx 5 mins for a 1 terrea bit drive.

````````If when you connect your drive to the lap top and you see an icon for it right side of screen then it should accept files without any thing being done depending on the size of the drive it may take a while for it to read it before the icon appears
to transfer your files click on what you want to move right click and copy them go to your external drive right click and paste then if your sure you have got them on the external drive just delete from the laptop remember to empty the trash as your drive will not have the free space you want till you do
hope you understand and its a success
FT

CNET Forums