HolidayBuyer's Guide

How To forum

Question

Transfer Old hard drive to new PC

by azism / August 18, 2014 6:17 AM PDT

I have just purchased a new Dell computer which comes with Windows 7 Professional. I would like to transfer the data/programs/settings from my old Dell running Windows 7 Home Premium to my new computer. How can I accomplish this without messing up the new computer's settings?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer Old hard drive to new PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer Old hard drive to new PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: transfer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 6:26 PM PDT

1. Copy the data (from your backup, via usb-stick, via external hard disk, or via your home network)
2. Reinstall the programs (from the original setup or - preferably - from a download of the latest version)
3. Manually re-enter the settings you need.
The sequence isn't important.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Windows file transfer
by Willy / August 19, 2014 4:16 AM PDT

You can use MS own "easy file transfer" a free pgm. they offer. The deal is you have to get the version for XP, Win 7 should already be present.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

You need to read the manual or details to make this a sure thing. If your setup is complicated, then expect problems with it or any other method, try to reduce all the attachments if at all possible. Keep it simple. Alas, if your XP is real old, don't expect it to run under Win7 even if in XP mode.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Addenum...2nd post
by Willy / August 20, 2014 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows file transfer

I should have mentioned, the use of a "data transfer cable" or similar wording. These usually come with s/w of their own or can use the easy file transfer as well provided both PCs have USB ports. I also should mention, that any attachments like USB ext. drives, etc.. should all be unhooked to include anything, even printers. sorry... adios -----Willy :
)

Collapse -
Re: XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows file transfer

Hi Willy,

The OP says he wants to move from old Windows 7 (Home Premium) to new Windows 7 (Professional). Why the need to get the XP version?

Kees

Collapse -
You're correct
by Willy / August 20, 2014 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP

I'm so mindset on old->new file transfer that's the default goto answer. However, the info I supplied still will work. In fact you can buy the "easy file transfer cable" at WallyWorld and its sold as that it also includes the MS transfer pgms. It really is creating a simple network using required USB cable to do this. Usually old to new OS PCs, as a simple network, the problem can be tacked. Under Win 7, it should have that already be installed, thus type [easy] no brackets at start should list easy file transfer pgm. and with cable attach, proceed.

FYI- This applies to XP,Vista,Win7 and Win8

roger, roger -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Opting for data cable transfer
by azism / August 21, 2014 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: You're correct

After reading these replies to my original message, and reading the replies I got from a local professional group I belong to, I am going to opt for a data cable transfer system. I will be about a month before I can do so as I will be out of town for a month. I have my fingers crossed that this will work without too many hitches. It could have been so much easier if I could have found a new motherboard and processor for my box, but it is just too old to find one anymore. Kind of like me. Sad

Collapse -
When you're ready
by Willy / August 31, 2014 4:31 PM PDT

You should also check the old PC and remove, delete or in general clean-out any old pgms. and such that no longer are needed, etc.. Do a anti-virus scan as well to assure no baddies are part of transfer, not likely though. Basically, you're trying to do as clean a transfer as possible. Once done, proceed with the data transfer and verify the "folders or directories" you want to be part of the transfer. It's really easier than you think.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.