HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Transfer live email files from dead laptop to new laptop

by Ozwalt43 / October 10, 2013 7:18 AM PDT

I can't imagine this is a rare tale to tell, so hopefully someone can help me out with this.

I recently killed my windows 7 laptop. Pulled the hard drive and set it up as an external HD for my new laptop running windows 8. I'd like to pull my old windows live emails and contacts from the old HD and import them into MS Office Outlook. I'm worried that the solution is staring me in the face, cuz I'm pretty bleary-eyed after all the reclamation work I've already done, but I'm just not seeing it. Any guidance?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer live email files from dead laptop to new laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer live email files from dead laptop to new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: email files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 7:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard of Google.
by Ozwalt43 / October 10, 2013 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: email files

:-P

Collapse -
Re: google
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 8:13 PM PDT

The hits in the search I gave tell where to find those files. That's what you wanted, didn't you?

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry
by Ozwalt43 / October 10, 2013 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: google

Thought you were trying to be a smarta**. Was actually looking for the process of using live email files with office outlook. Found the eml files right away. Struggled to find the contact file (edb), but the big difficulty was how to import raw files into office outlook without having the ability to open the old files in live mail to export into a different format. I found some free converter programs, but haven't found one that will actually work. Figured there MUST be a simple way to do this, since it's all MS products...

Collapse -
See my answer below.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Temporarily install Windows Live Mail and export those contacts in a format Outlook will (hopefully) understand to import.

But it might be necessary to just retype everything.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Those files are in this folder
by wpgwpg / October 10, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

Look at C:\Users\your ID\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail.

Collapse -
Let me be more clear.
by Ozwalt43 / October 10, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

I'm wanting to manually remove windows 7 live mail emails and contact files from a hard drive and move them onto my windows 8 computer to be used with MS Office Outlook. I'm sure the old *.eml files are easy to drag over, but they're not the important thing here. It's the contacts I need. I cannot find the contact file on the old hard drive. I know it should be called "contacts.edb" and I know it's probably a hidden file. I've clicked the checkbox to see the hidden files, I've looked where the file should be, and I've done a search to see if it was moved somewhere else, and I'm not finding it. Once I do find it, I don't have a clue how to integrate that file into MS Office Outlook.

Collapse -
For your contacts, they'll be here
by wpgwpg / October 10, 2013 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me be more clear.

The folder for your contacts is in this folder:
ook at C:\Users\your ID\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live.

Collapse -
A trick that might be useful ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Let me be more clear.

first thing in the morning, immediately after login, add a contact. Then search for all files modified today using your favorite file searcher. It must be one of the files that's listed.

The common way to import contacts into a mail-program is to export them in some common format (like .csv) from the old program. It isn't very well standardised, but it's better than the assumption that every e-mail program can import data from every other e-mail program.

So just install Windows Love mail on the new machine, restore or import the files it needs from the original hard disk and export the contacts, so Outlook can pick them up.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.