HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

transfer from ME to WinXPPro

by lindasparrots / August 21, 2005 4:44 AM PDT

I have a Dell optiplex gx270 with a new xp pro after having to reformat hard drive. Lost some of the programs that came with the computer (ex family member installed when I wasn't home). Due to hijack I had to reformat to get online with dsl but had no os cd. I got the new win xp pro as oem so no support. I lost the acdsee that was on the computer & have no cd or floppy. Now, none of the cd's I made previously will run even with the acdsee download (trial for 45 days). Can I transfer programs from my old Pentium 3with ME to this computer with the xp pro? It will be a few months before I can buy acdsee. Also, I found that my copy of Office 2000 was a pirate copy from same ex family member & was cause of hijack. I removed from system, again, have to wait a while til I can get oem office. Any advice on what I can do in the meantime?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfer from ME to WinXPPro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfer from ME to WinXPPro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open Office is free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 4:56 AM PDT

It's over at http://www.openoffice.org and will do fine for most people.

As to the unreadable CDs, they could be made by DirectCD or INCD. To get them working again, install that software.

Bob

Collapse -
OpenOffice won't download
by lindasparrots / August 21, 2005 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Open Office is free.

I've tried downloading OpenOffice.org but can't find it installed on the computer. Download.com says that xp service pack 2 may be the problem, or windows firewall. I turned that off but still can't find. It's supposed to be in temp file but no such luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse -
Nope
by Yew / August 21, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

Ever since Windows95, some 10 years or so ago, the moving of programs like that has gone to the wayside. It's gotten worse with every release of Windows since.

Not sure what sort of alternatives there are to ACD See, since I've never really used it myself, but you can always download OpenOffice to replace Office 2000. It's a freeware office suite, which isn't quite as good as Office, but it's free, and is more than capable of handling most people's needs.

Collapse -
ACDSEE replacement?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 5:06 AM PDT

Let's try this combo. (both are free)

For viewing, slide shows, conversion, etc. Look up IRFANVIEW.

For editing and more, look up THE GIMP.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.