Storage forum

General discussion

Transfer files from existing Hard Drive

by Wadda / July 31, 2007 12:55 AM PDT

I have never done this before and need some advise. Can you direct me please? I have two computer, one with a small external hard drive that is full now. I purchase a new large HD and I want to load all the files from the small HD to the new one and then all the files from my second computer. Is there anywhere I could find directions on doing this without loosing all my files? Can someone advise me? I guess I don't know how to load the files from one external HD to the other?? Please advise.

Thank you,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer files from existing Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer files from existing Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If your using XP try this.
by Dango517 / August 3, 2007 3:43 PM PDT

If it's form one computer with XP on it, to another XP compatible computer, this should do the trick. But only after you've purchased the cable. A cable purchased form your local computer store is required. Also note that additional resources are also provided at the bottom of the page. You may wish to provide more information. OSs involved and computer brands so someone can assist you further. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
by richchrono / August 3, 2007 8:04 PM PDT

This wizard is included with XP and was designed to transfer your software and settings from an old computer to a new one. You can find it under System Tools.

Check it out!

Collapse -
Transfer files from existing Hard Drive
by notaryah / August 6, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

You did not mention what system you are working with but just in case it's XP this is the prosedure I would use to prevent me from spending extra cash since there is an External drive involve. Make sure that your External Drive is installed to your new PC Click on 'START' / 'MY COMPUTER', there you should see an Icon saying 'External Drive' it useualy show-up as (F:) you can dubble click on the 'Icon' and all your files that you have stored on it will show, you then go to the 'Menue Bar' and click on 'Edit' scroll down and click on 'Select All' all the files will then be highlited, once you have done so, two 'File Icons' will lite-up one with an arrow pointing-up for 'COPY' the other pointing Horizontal for 'Move TO'-this is the one you would click on and a window will appear then Highlite LOCAL DISK(C:)
at the bottom of the window click on send and WALLA! fold your arms and let it do it's thing, when it's done you should have an empty External Drive.
You would then disconnect the H,D from the New PC and reconnect to the old PC and use the same procedure YOU had use before to transfer files to it, after that is done disconnect and reconnect and go throuh the same proseedure once again until you'r done, no Wizard, no cable, no sweet and no cash, you should not have too with an external HD once every thing is compatible, which I hope they are for your sake. All the best!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?