Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Transfer Data from Old PC to New

by vrygreen / August 22, 2011 4:35 PM PDT

Hi,

I need to transfer data from my old pc with the old style cables (vga?) to my new pc with usb. Is there a connector I can buy that will enable me to download the data onto a flashdrive directly. The old pc has a cd drive, so installation of a driver is possible.

Thanks in advance.

V.Green

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer Data from Old PC to New
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer Data from Old PC to New
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: transfer data
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 5:16 PM PDT

VGA is for monitors only. So it can't be VGA. If you tell what it is (I assume it isn't USB) we might be able to tell more.

Other questions:
- how old is that old PC?
- what OS?
- how much data?
- how do you backup that data?

Kees

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / August 22, 2011 10:26 PM PDT

If your old PC is that old, it maybe better to remove the old HD. Mount it in a ext. USB case that accepts it and go from there. You can also use this setup, google for ADA-2020. It will accept various EIDE and SATA type drives which all you need then is to connect as required. Either method will work, once configured and swap data. FYI- you swap data not the whole OS like pgms., and such it would do for XP and above OSes. I have used the ADA-2020 quite well and works.

Collapse -
Transfering
by lushys / August 23, 2011 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

I wrote a large article with images and explanations of each piece of hardware and connection. I dont feel like going over the same thing again so here is a brief overview of my advise.

First of all, chances are you have an IDE hard drive. I doubt that its old enough to be DB25. The likely connections that I could see are:

IDE
Serial ATA

However the following may confuse you:

SCSI
Raid Array (Whether its IDE, ATA, SCSI)

Some people have built machines using adapters to use Laptop Hard Drives, this may also be an issue.

Furthermore I've seen some people even use SD cards, Express Bus,PCMCIA (Rare) with adapters when on a budhet and using spare parts,

My advice.

1. Find the type of Hard drive and buy an enclosure for it. They are $15-25 dollars and can be connected via USB, Firewire, ISCSI etc.

2. If the old machine is operable you can either shhare the drive on the nework or use a crossover to connect both machines. Set PC1 to static IP 192.168.1.1 and PC2 to 192.168.1.2 and then eplore your network or use: net use z: \\ 192.168.1.x

Further more you could click start, run, type the IP or DNS name and add the hard-drive by mapping it and doing a transfer over night.

The easiest of all is simply buying an enclosure. For future reference I highly suggest purchasing either a 1TB external for backups or a file server like a Terrastation.

Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?