Computer Help forum

General discussion

transfer data from my old computer

i have a 1997 elonex NB 5000 laptop and it is so old and slow ( 133 mhtz ) that it is obsolete. i have files and photos that i would like to transfer to my new computer. the diskette drive works but it only takes 1.44 mgb of data and most files are bigger so cant use that. the cd drive is read only. ...elonex has no USB ...there are several ports at back ...one is a 15 pin female...one is 9 pin male ...one is 25 pin female and a strange 3 parallel row female connector ( i think its called mini dock connector)... is it possible to connect my elonex by a cable to my dell computer and access the files and transfer? can anyone tell me what i need please ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: transfer data from my old computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: transfer data from my old computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any wifi?

In reply to: transfer data from my old computer

Or ethernet? You didn't tell.

If all that is left is the hard drive, why not remove that and put it into some USB case or cable? Cheap at under 20.
Bob

Collapse -
transfer data from my old computer

In reply to: Any wifi?

thanks for taking the time to reply...no ethernet connections or wifi...compuiter is 12 years old...

Collapse -
I bet it's IDE.

Collapse -
transfer my old computer

In reply to: I bet it's IDE.

hi thanks again...looks like its the perfect solution...had a look at the website and the pin connector looks the correct match ...many thanks for your sound advice...
tried google before but never got a satisfactory solution
appreciate your help...

Collapse -
just yank out the hard drive...

just remove the hard drive and stick it in an external case.

As for the ports, I think the 25 pin one MIGHT be a printer port, or maybe that's the 15 pin...I'm not sure. The 9 pin is a mystery to me, as is the other one. I doubt any of them would interface with the new machine anyway, though.

Your only other option would be to buy a CD burner, for which there is probably no software available for windows 95 or whatever's on there.

I am pretty sure there is no wifi, since that didn't come along until the Apple iBook (1999). But, if there's an ethernet port, you could hook it to your other computer or network with that.

Best bet is to remove the drive.

Collapse -
transfer old computer data to new

In reply to: just yank out the hard drive...

thanks for reply...i can remove the hard drive but not sure what kind of case you are referring to? where could i buy this ? will it have a USB at one end to connect to my dell ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!