Computer Help forum

General discussion

Transfer C: drive info to another drive

by Orangefield / February 9, 2009 12:13 AM PST

Hi, I hope you can give me some pointers. I am running XP service pack 3, and, as a musician, and also an avid game player, have found my paltry 80 gigabyte harddrive is at its limits. I need a bigger C drive, but to cure lost weekends I would like to find a way to literally transfer everything from my original C drive to a new, much bigger one, including the whole operating system, so that it will start when booted as though nothing had ever happened! I basically need to avoid a whole OS restore alongside the countless music software, plugins etc. Is there any advice out there as to how to go about this? Any help will be massively appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Transfer C: drive info to another drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Transfer C: drive info to another drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will let others respond, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 12:22 AM PST

I do have one question for you now.

Where are your backups?

If you haven't backed up any of your personal files, like music, video, photos, documents, etc, what are you going to do if this hard drive fails, either during the transfer process, or before?

If you already have backups, then please disregard this, and you're doing well. I ask though because we see so many desperate pleas for help when users have lost everything when their hard drive fails, and want their photos back.

Mark

Collapse -
Back ups
by Orangefield / February 10, 2009 2:44 AM PST

For sure, all the important files backed up, thanks for asking. Any help on the original question?

Collapse -
Easy . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 10, 2009 4:46 AM PST

Clone it.

When you buy a new drive it will come with cloning software that will make an exact duplicate of the drive. Clone it and swap it. Use the old drive for more "stuff".

Collapse -
Transferring c: drive
by anmor / February 10, 2009 4:55 AM PST

get Acronis True Image $50 US.
Use Acronis to transfer the old drive to the new one. Use manual mode if you want to select partition size.

Collapse -
Most retail hard disks ...
by Kees Bakker / February 10, 2009 5:18 AM PST

come with cloning software. Be sure to buy one like that.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.