Question

Tranferring Hard disk

Hi, This may be a bit complicated, but I'll do my best.

I just built a new machine with an Intel MB and CPU. I cloned my Hard disk with winxp sp3 on it to another disk within my old ASUS AMD based MB. Moved the cloned disk into the new machine and I am able to boot into Win XP, but only as far as the LOGON screen. At that screen I hit ENTER to log on and it says "Loading Personal settings" then it goes to a blank blue screen and after a while goes back to the "Logoff" screen. If I hit Cancel it goes back to "LogOn" screen and repeats.
If I try to go in in Safe Mode, I still get the LogOn screen and it does the same thing.
Obviously there is some major hardware issue here, but where to begin to troubleshoot? Any thoughts and ideas welcome.
Thank you!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Tranferring Hard disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tranferring Hard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This has prior discussions. Let's note them now!
- Collapse -
PS. There are other issues here.

The worst one is that the clone is a copy and you are heading for the brick wall that is "license issues."

No one here will tell you this will end well. Your OEM ASUS license DIES with that machine and is non-transferable to other computers.

This often upsets folks that are new to this area.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
There is no hardware issue

The Windows Operating System is designed for and licensed for installation on a single computer. You are attempting to use an OEM version tied to your old ASUS motherboard and that seldom works.

IF you have a RETAIL Windows XP installation CD you can easily install it from scratch on the new drive on the new computer AND install all the proper motherboard drivers for the new motherboard and peripherals but if that retail CD was initially installed on the old drive and computer you will need to delete it first as the installation will need to be re-activated on the new built system.

If you are retiring the old system and just want to avoid having to install everything from scratch you might be able to make use of the retail installation Cd to perform a repair installation on the imaged drive on the new computer which would load the proper HAL without disrupting the other installed software. (DISADVANTAGE to this process would be that the old drivers for the old motherboard and peripherals would still be on the drive and potentially causing conflict).

As I started out, no hardware conflict, just a software publisher protecting its property from attempts as unlicensed use.

CNET Forums