That's how I sniff out if it's a software issue. Trackpads do die in odd ways so with that out of the way I can't find where you tried some mouse or changed the trackpad out.
First of all, let me start out by saying that I am not an idiot, especially when it comes to computers. I am working on my degree in Computer Science at the University of Michigan, so I've tried everything I know how to fix this problem and it has me pulling my hair out.
Here is a list of the problems I am having:
1. Whenever I left-click on my desktop, whether it be in an open space, or on an icon, it registers it as a right-click. It also does the same when using the start menu. It seems to do this under any Windows Explorer based window. Other than on the desktop, it does this randomly.
2. Randomly, the taskbar becomes unclickable.
3. I have completely lost my ability to right click anywhere on my computer.
4. Although this never happened at first, it now seems that whenever I have a window open and I go to interact with it, it automatically changes the focus of the screen back to the desktop, but still leaves the window open, making it impossible to do almost anything. The only way I have found to get around this is by using my keyboard to navigate around, which all works just fine. I am currently using Safe Mode, which seems to fix this problem, and this problem alone.
5. While use Google Chrome, I have lost the ability to right-click completely, and I have lost the ability to click on the tabs to change them (I must use CTRL+TAB to navgate through tabs. Neither using my trackpad or my left mouse key works.) ALthough I can still click the X to close the page and the New Tab button works just fine. I cannot click on the address bar at all to change the web address, although I can hit F6 to select it and then change it. I also cannot access the "Other Bookmarks" menu or the options menu at all. The back, forward, and refresh buttons all work like they should. When using Internet Explorer, none of these problems exist.
6. At random times, the right click menu pops up.
7. I cannot use my trackpad to select things, I must use the left mouse button to drag to select.
8. I can no longer use the very right edge of my trackpad to scroll anywhere on my computer. In the trackpad setting where you can set the zones on the pad for this, it recognizes that it is being touched, but does not work at all.
I have tried everything I know to attempt to fix this. I have checked every setting known to man that has to do with my trackpad, and none of it has changed. I have tried a system restore, and I have run multiple virus scans, all with no luck.
I am on a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7.
I am just hoping someone will have had this problem before and has found a solution. I need this computer for school and this is getting in the way of my work.