Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Tracking Cookies

My OS is XP Home Edition with all critical updates installed, to include SP2. Computer is a P4, 2.6 Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40Gb Maxtor HHD.

I am a long time user of Ad-Aware SE and find it quite effective. Even though my default browser is Netscape 7.2 I continually get M$IE Cache tracking cookies. The only thing I use M$IE for is downloading M$ updates. Yet, I can run Ad-Aware and delete the tracking cookies, but as soon as I use Netscape the tracking cookies are back. I have tried making the folders where these tracking cookies are installed ''read only'', but then most if not all videos won't play on my computer. So, this action is not an option.

Ad-Aware identifies the tracking cookies as follows:
Type: IECache Entry
Category: Data Miner
Object: Cookie: Owner@2o7.net/ and Cookie: Owner@doubleclick.net/

Is there some sort of upgrade to Ad-Aware available that would ''prevent'' these tracking cookies from installing themselves on my computer? Something that would be a TSR type?

OR, is there some other Spyware program that you would recommned that would accomplish what I am seeking? Even though Ad-Aware SE is a freebie, I certainly would be willing to purchase an Ad-Aware SE upgrade or another program that would stop these tracking cookies before they install themselves on my computer.

Thanks,

G.F.K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tracking Cookies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tracking Cookies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi G.F.K.

In reply to: Tracking Cookies

Ad-Aware SE has an addition called Ad-Watch that I believe is a blocker. I have never bought it though because I use IE and Spybot S&D blocks them in IE. SpywareBlaster blocks SOME of them too. One of our regular members, MarkFlax uses Netscape so I am sure he would have an answer for you if he reads this post. There may be another way that he knows of to block them. If you'd like to check out Ad-Watch it's on the left side if this page under ''software''.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Collapse -
I use IE.

and if I found a cookie or cookies to be annoying I might go to

tools>int opts>privacy>edit and block it/them.

Collapse -
Netscape

Hi GFK,

I use Netscape as well, although i haven't upgraded to 7.2. I still use 7.1.

I'm not sure I can help with this. I feel there is a cross-referencing between program developers and with we users about the definition, naming and explanation of cookies. You probably know that cookies are simple text messages that are stored on a computer whenever a person visits a web site. It is the web site that downloads the cookies to the user's computer automatically, and, "they say", that they do so to enhance the users future visits to their web site. Generally cookies are at worse a benign intrusion. For instance, CNET place cookies on the users computer for these forums. This allows the user to return to the forums and not have to "sign in" each time. At times when I have cleared all of my cookies out, and returned here, I have had to re-log in, a minor inconvenience, but proof to me that CNET gave me a cookie. And I don't mind.

But some web sites use cookies for other reasons, like tracking a user as he/she navigates their web site, and cookies can be used to target the content of a user with particular adverts and other information, perhaps. It is these tracking cookies that you have mentioned.

I imagine that cookies are given names by the web site developers, (to help them in the design stage), but the web site doesn't dictate where the cookie is stored. The users browser does that. So, if a user uses IE and another user uses Netscape, or Firefox, whatever, the browser decides where to store the cookie, whatever its name is.

So that could be one reason why Ad-Aware is finding MSIE cookies in Netscapes cookie cache.

But there could also be another reason. Ad-Aware may give these cookies generic names, eg MSIE because Ad-Aware isn't concerned about which browser stored the cookie where.

So I'm not sure you will be able to separate cookies which are identified as MSIE cookies to just the IE browser. MIcrosoft don't create these cookies, they are just identified with IE, the major browser in the business.

That doesn't mean you can't do anything. In my Netscape the Preferences can be found under the Edit menu option. It may be the same for N 7.2. If you goto Preferences, then Privacy & Security, then Cookies, you can change the way Netscape handles cookies to settings of your choice. You may need to experiment, because there are many possibilities; eg you could set the option "Enable cookies for the originating site only" (this stops web sites installing cookies for sites other than their own), or you could use the Custom filter option, (Enable cookies based on privacy settings).

Some of these may stop you viewng videos, if it is a cookie setting that stops you playing them, so it would have to be trial and error I reckon.

But at the end of the day, most commercial web sites attempt to install cookies, and if your Ad-Aware only finds a couple of so-called tracking cookies whenever you do a scan, you're doing pretty well wih your protection.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.