Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

TP Link extenders Vs Apple's airplay

by tomsdaddy / April 18, 2014 3:51 AM PDT

Hi, any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated. Uninterrupted music... I remember it well back in the day.

I have an airplay speaker, made by libratone. Looks very nice, fails to deliver. Since it only ever achieved 40% signal quality talking to my router in the next room( base technicolor tg582n) , I decided to purchase Tplink's TL-WPA4220T KIT and boost the range of my wifi signal all of the 5m (plus wall) to the speaker.

Originally, when plugged in, it failed to work, and I contacted the manufacturer who informed that extenders didn't support airplay. However they released a firmware upgrade and gave me complete assurance that were I to upgrade the devices it would support airplay...

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, the solution eludes me still. All of the wifi works strongly, the I-devices all connecting well to the network but... The speaker, when connected to its nearest wifi extender , (showing a 95% signal strength), isn't then visible from a device connecting to the Same Boosted wifi zone, but is visible if the ipod is connected to the base router!!

I find this hugely bizarre, and it means that I can't sit in the same room as the speaker , and still control it, which is kind of the point?

I am losing the will to live trying to sort this out, the holy grail of seamless uninterrupted music from my ipod. Next weeks lottery numbers for anyone who can give me any advice! Happy * best efforts anyway.

All that remains to be said is enjoy the bank holiday weekend., thanks for your consideration.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TP Link extenders Vs Apple's airplay
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TP Link extenders Vs Apple's airplay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember I never field or support extenders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2014 4:09 AM PDT

You are learning first hand why. OK, what do I use? Mostly what I'll reveal next.

1. WAPs. I can use a WAP or a "router as a WAP" to give another area coverage.

2. From the other CNET Forum, this link.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7585_102-602528/how-to-create-a-wireless-network-for-a-large-house/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

3. Relocation of the router.
To this day I still find routers in bad locations like a basement. No matter how many times you tell them, they are still found in the wrong location.
Bob

Collapse -
Different SSIDs
by tomsdaddy / April 21, 2014 6:04 PM PDT

Bob, thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my post.

I understand the creation of a sequence of WAPs across the house, and in fact the TP-Link boxes can be set up to transmit their own individual SSIDs.

I can see how this wouldn't be a problem for straightforward browsing, as each device will choose to connect automatically to whichever wifi zone is nearest, but, since the zones would be unique, would that not mean that the airplay speaker will only be visible to devices connected to the same zone as it is located?

Cheers

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2014 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Different SSIDs

I do not field extenders as they tend to not work as well as folk hoped for. Since our office gets calls to fix such oddities we use the other methods to extend coverage.

Good question but one for TP Link. They are responding to bugs so why not ask?

Example at http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=510
Bob

Collapse -
Same SSIDs 2 extra WAPs
by tomsdaddy / April 22, 2014 7:48 PM PDT

Thanks again Bob, I will set up the 2 powerline extenders (repeaters) as WAPs each using the base router's SSID , so its invisible to the user, and HOPEFULLY, extends the Airplay across the whole network.

Have been in touch with TP link out of China, very helpful and responsive. In fact the only let down is the manufacturer of the speaker. (Who are non-responsive). Not recommending them in the slightest.

Regards

Collapse -
Invisible?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2014 8:03 PM PDT

We never name it the same as any station in the area so we are sure of which we are connecting to.

Collapse -
airplay over different SSIDs
by tomsdaddy / April 29, 2014 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Invisible?

OK, so.. 3 separate stations, as in your example , do you know if Apple Airplay would work seamlessly across it , or are they wholly individual networks if they have different names?

thanks

Collapse -
No it won't
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2014 2:46 AM PDT

Seamless roaming is still a work in progress. Even with the same SSID you see an app that is streaming fail to seamlessly switch to the next spot.

Maybe in a few years? For now we can dismiss the error messages and let it play again after the laptop or such reconnects.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
TP Link
by Marianiey / April 21, 2014 6:12 PM PDT

TP Link is great, I has beening used it.

Collapse -
With Apple airplay?
by tomsdaddy / April 22, 2014 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: TP Link

I agree the product is good over the hard wire powerline. I even suspect I have bridged it across 2 separate rings in the AC , but this might be impossible.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!