PC Hardware forum

General discussion

tower doesn't turn on right away after pushing power button

Hi,
I had an mp3 player plugged into the computer and left it on after shutting the pc over night.
The next morning the computer delayed in turning on for about a minute.
Yesterday. It did not go on at all. I was about to give up and go get a power supply but then it magically came on the second i shut my stereo off...weird...
this morning it came on 3 minutes after i pushed the power button.
moments before that..i saw the power supply light come on for a second ''after i shut down the surge protector!''..i thought..there's hope..it tried...

i had a usb hub connected to one of the 4 usb slots..with my printer
plugged into it...did i overload the computer power w/ that mp3 player? the mp3 player was in the hub and then it was switched to the back of the power because there wasn't enough power in the hub for it.

or is my power button going bad?
What will happen in the future? does the power need a rest and recharge? Is it that watch battery in there?
It's almost like a car battery being drained when something is being used with the car off.

I have an 8 year old tower.
Power supply just a few months old.
Motherboard and other components not as old as the tower.
thanks for your help..
wasn't sure if i should create a new post..the other posts didn't offer a solution for me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tower doesn't turn on right away after pushing power button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tower doesn't turn on right away after pushing power button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never sure which part it is

In reply to: tower doesn't turn on right away after pushing power button

We replace the PSU first because it's the cheapest. If that doesn't cure it we replace the motherboard. Be sure to type BAD CAPS on google.com to catch up and know about that issue.
Bob

Collapse -
PSU issues

In reply to: tower doesn't turn on right away after pushing power button

If I answered this similar post elsewhere what were your results. read my other post just made for similar PSU failures can suggest in a fix in this forum, click on its link.

This post you supplied offers no hard details of your system. You do mention USB still attached, in some cases, the fix is unconnect all USB devices and check results. Afterall, these USB devices are sucking power too and/or awaiting acknowledgment during the boot process. An aging PSU or a cheap one will show its diminished capacity to boot due to stress and/or age from wear&tear. They just don't have the "phhuumfff" to get things going as when new.

FYI - In my many posts in the past, when installing a new PSU get a hulking big wattage(500W+)and amps namebrand unit to better survive the likes of demanding systems now. Make it dual fan setup as well, plus system cooling is very important to help keep heat stress levels down.

adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
my specs in addition to the original post

In reply to: PSU issues

board and processor are about 5 years old
watch battery, 2/3 of the memory, power supply, and video card are 3 months old
does it appear that any permanent damage might have occured to part of the pc? I had an overheating problem earlier this year with dust all over the pcu fan..maybe i'll check for that again.

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V333-X REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V333-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1002 10/22/2002

1.50 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Collapse -
I've seen A7V333 with bad caps.

In reply to: my specs in addition to the original post

Did you look for it?

Collapse -
Some insight

In reply to: my specs in addition to the original post

Here's the issue with old parts, they do wear&tear on you. Heat can and will stress the componets AND! it won't appear damaged but it reaches a certain level and tops out below what is considered its typical level of performance. That means in plain terms, it gets flaky and outright intermittent at times for no apparent cause.

The AMD cpu is quite prone to failure when heat stressed when not cooled properly. It may not be the problem but could be. Check on the www, for "bad caps" to help inspect&verify you're not having any. Leaking, bulging, distorted, capacitors were being found around that time. Next, the Asus mtrbd. was popular and I had one. It did have an issue when all the ram slots were being used, causing intermittent or non-booting. Also, unmatched or ram speed sticks will be a problem and if with using all ram slots, it had issues. If this is the case, just remove or have one ram stick installed(highest Mb) and check results.

I don't think I can add more here. FYI, I did retire my old mtrbd.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
did the checks

In reply to: Some insight

Now it didn't turn on at all today...
seems to be getting worse...
no problem w/ the memory stick or bad caps it appears...
I'm going to get a new tower, motherboard, and processor...they are old anyway...

Collapse -
(NT) Great, a new build, enjoy

In reply to: did the checks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.