HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Tour 2

by peterperil / July 30, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

Rumor has it that BB will be coming out next year with a version of Tour that has WiFi and more on board memory. I don't think 256mb of memory and the fact that you can't put apps on the expansion card on the original Tour is a good thing. I'd like to get opinions on waiting for the new version instead of getting the current one.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tour 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tour 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rumors
by blackcoffeenosugar / July 30, 2009 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Tour 2

It is still a bit distant for a Tour 2 since the Tour has only just been released. Not sure whether people will want to wait for another year if they current contract has already ended. But talking about rumours there is also one that suggest BlackBerry App World 1.1 will allow users to install apps onto memory cards (http://www.berryreview.com/2009/07/28/blackberry-app-world-1-1-coming-soon-interesting-new-features-in-documentation/). The currently OS 4.x doesn't allow this yet. But RIM is about to push out OS 5.0. Who knows what will happen?

Collapse -
BlackBerry Tour 2?
by eagleeins / July 30, 2009 11:48 PM PDT

It's not a rumor...It's called the "Onyx" and yes it has WiFi built in! Crackberry.com has already pics posted - I doubt though it will be released before Fall of 2010 and the 'rumor' is it goes to AT&T only :-(((

Collapse -
Tour 2 and Onyx
by blackcoffeenosugar / July 30, 2009 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: BlackBerry Tour 2?

This post is about the CMDA BlackBerry Tour and possible Tour 2. Onyx is the successor to BlackBerry Bold - a GSM phone.

Collapse -
Tour 2
by peterperil / July 31, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Tour 2 and Onyx

Thanks for the info. I am with Sprint and since I'm not crazy about the PRE I'm looking at BB specifically the Tour. I'm not 100% for it for the above reasons but it seems to be the best BB or at least Sprint BB out at the moment. Also it appears to be able to most of the things I want business wise. If the expansion card only holds photos, video and music how much can you put into the 256 MB of on board memory. Not much I wager.

Collapse -
Tour 2
by eagleeins / July 31, 2009 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Tour 2 and Onyx

Do you really believe BB will develop two versions of the same phone at the same time??? The Onyx will be 'THE' BlackBerry to have with all the features packed into one phone.
Just as before, it will first go to AT&T as a GSM version and eventually migrate into the CDMA market, covering Sprint and Verizon.

Collapse -
BlackBerry Bold?
by blackcoffeenosugar / July 31, 2009 7:15 AM PDT

The BlackBerry Tour is probably the best CDMA BlackBerry you can get at the moment. The internal memory is on the smaller side. But it should be enough to install all the applications you need. Most BlackBerry applications are no more than 2, 3MB after all.

To eagleeins: I don't think you have clearly understood what we are discussing here. We never said "BB will develop two versions of the same phone at the same time". We are talking about the CDMA phone Tour and possible Tour 2 on Sprint. You are the only person that keeps nagging about the Onyx.

Collapse -
ONYX doesn't have Wifi
by Maarek Stele / September 4, 2009 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: BlackBerry Tour 2?

The Onyx is a stripped down version of the Tour. It's more like a teenager phone where they are limited in their data connection and turn the BB into a MMS phone rather than business phone. No Wifi on the ONyx

Collapse -
YES IT DOES
by eagleeins / September 4, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: ONYX doesn't have Wifi

You are mis-informed! Here is the quote from 'crackberry.com':

"RIM has finally packed it ALL into one device with the Onyx -- 3G, WiFi, GPS, 3.2 megapixel camera - and they've done it in a tight form factor. If you put the Onyx side by side with the BlackBerry Bold and compare the specs, you realize the triumph in engineering RIM has accomplished here. The Onyx is basically better in every way but has a much smaller...."

That does not sound like a "teenager" phone to me... Wink

Collapse -
Unfortunately YOU are misinformed.
by acschnitzersport / October 29, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: YES IT DOES

The Onyx is blackberry 9700, which is the updated 9000, blackberry Bold. If you look up pictures of the blackberry bold 2, ie, the onyx or blackberry 9700, it has "BOLD" carved into the back of the phone. Although the 9700 is not the same body style as the original bold 9000, the idea is the same; fastest processor, larger memory, most powerful blackberry (hopefully with better battery life than the 9000 though.)

This post is about the Essex, which is the 96**. Its strictly a CDMA phone, although it does have the GSM antennas for world usage. Gets your facts straight; you would be shot down on crackberry in a moment if you ever posted a quick reply like you did here.

Collapse -
Wait on the Tour 2?
by David P. / October 19, 2009 12:47 AM PDT

I don't think that you'd be asking this question if you had invested in the Blackberry Touch. The touch screen was a failure prompting the upcoming release of the Touch 2. Companies don?t come out with improved versions unless they have too. Wait for the Tour 2?it will be better.

Collapse -
the Tour 2 aka Essex aka 9650 get's Youtube review
by at_RelativeTheory / November 14, 2009 3:09 AM PST

Tour 2 gets review(http://macspotlight.blogspot.com/2009/11/blackberry-tour-2-aka-essex-gets-video.html) I currently own the Tour and will most likely by the new Tour... But I feel like the first Tour was a Prototype... Also questions if RIM is confused now as they are confusing people... It's almost like here's the unfinished Tour buy it now... Then wait a second, we have WiFi and have solved your Trackpad issues...

It's not really excusable as the first Tour was launched at the same time the 8520 on Tmobile was launched that had the Trackpad and WiFi... So why did RIM Wait so long to make the change?

Collapse -
What's with that video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 3:12 AM PST

Bad bad audio. Shame.

Collapse -
Re
by Last_longer / November 28, 2009 11:57 PM PST

Thanks For The Info Man.

Collapse -
Not sure though
by guest784ty43182 / January 26, 2010 8:05 PM PST

I read somewhere that one of the most significant changes in this upcoming model will be an optical trackpad in place of the trackball on the current version. This shouldn't surprise anyone, as RIM has been putting trackpads on virtually all its recent models.I'm really not sure as well if it is worth it!

Collapse -
Trackpad is one of the updates
by Diesel4469 / January 30, 2010 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure though

The trackpad will be one of the updates on the Tour 2. It will also sport WiFi, more memory and the 5.0 OS. This will be what the Tour was supposed to be at the onset.

I, for one, cannot wait for it's release. I have played with the trackball Curve 2 and personally find that the trackball doesn't seem to be as precise as the trackball for me. I will have to get used to it though.

Has anyone heard when the Tour 2 is supposed to be released? I know 1st quarter is a very good possibility, but I would like it narrowed donwn a bit more.

Collapse -
how to choose bb
by flxjjc / October 16, 2010 2:02 PM PDT

how to choose bb

Collapse -
how to choose bb?
by flxjjc / October 16, 2010 2:01 PM PDT

i don't know which is best, howto choose

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.