Cameras forum

General discussion

TOUGH phone carrying case

by hofmannp / November 12, 2003 8:54 AM PST

I am (probably) buying a Pentax Optio 555 and I need a carrying case. I am in the military and plan on bringing the camera with me out to the field on occasion. I am a tanker so it won't get too beat up but i need something that can absorb some shock and be a little bit water resistant (proof?). any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TOUGH phone carrying case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TOUGH phone carrying case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:TOUGH phone carrying case
by David Chan / November 12, 2003 11:45 AM PST
Collapse -
If you want waterproof & shockproof cases try Pelican...
by David Chan / November 12, 2003 11:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:If you want waterproof & shockproof cases try Pelican...
by ProjectBETA / November 13, 2003 6:46 AM PST

David that site is perfect. I had pretty much sold myself on either the Canon Powershot S50 or the Pentax Optio 555 because they both combine a powerful camera and a compact package. I finally held both in a store and the Pentax felt lighter, yet more durable. Now this Pelican company has the 1010 Micro Case (4-7/16" x 2-15/16" x 1-11/16") that almost perfectly accomodates the Pentax's dimensions (3.9" x 2.3" x 1.6"). I think I'm sold on both products and now I won't have to make a case out of cardboard. Thanks much for the help and thanks to hofmannp for posting the exact question that was on my mind.

Collapse -
Re:Re:If you want waterproof & shockproof cases try Pelican...
by David Chan / November 13, 2003 8:02 AM PST

Glad you've found it useful.

Take care and may you have a safe tour of duty and bring home lots of memories.

Collapse -
EXACTLY what i was looking for
by hofmannp / November 13, 2003 10:33 AM PST

David, thanks.

Collapse -
Re:EXACTLY what i was looking for
by David Chan / November 13, 2003 10:56 AM PST

You're very welcome.

And best of luck to you too.

Collapse -
Re:TOUGH phone carrying case
by ProjectBETA / November 12, 2003 4:57 PM PST

Wow it's like looking in a mirror. I'm going into the military and the Pentax Optio 555 is one of my two final contenders of digital cameras to purchase. While I haven't been able to find any hard cases (something like a hard guitar case that can take serious abuse), I spoke with some active duty soldiers and veterans and one of them recommended making my own case. He suggested cardboard, plastic (for water-proofing) and tape. Now obviously cardboard wouldn't make a hard case, but I think it would be possible to make one out of other materials. I will continue searching for hard-cases that could work for the Pentax Optio 555 and I will be sure to let you know if I find any, as we have the same needs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.