Computer Help forum

General discussion

Touchscreen, general-use laptop needed. ($300-$400)

Hi everyone. Looking for a touchscreen laptop for my family member. Here is what he doesn't care about:

- Weight
- OS
- Screen size (as long as it's not too small)
- Won't be doing video editing or playing any super CPU-intensive games.
- Video editing
- His kids won't be playing any CPU-intensive games, I don't believe.

What he wants:

- Something with good specifications and battery life would be good, but would lean more towards good specifications (speed, reliability, good screen quality, etc) over the decent battery life.

- Touch screen is required.

He has a budget of about $300-$400 and he wants the "best" laptop in that price range. I honestly don't know anything about new technology, so any help at all would be appreciated.

I was recommended the below laptops by the kind folks over at Reddit and would appreciate any others that you fall within the the budget mentioned above. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinkpad-Touchscreen-Convertible-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B06XCZ3DHH/

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Lenovo-Thinkpad-Generation-Bluetooth/dp/B077W6FR9L

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Touchscreen, general-use laptop needed. ($300-$400)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Touchscreen, general-use laptop needed. ($300-$400)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only found 11.6 inch screens.

In reply to: Touchscreen, general-use laptop needed. ($300-$400)

Collapse -
Reponse to R. Proffitt

In reply to: Only found 11.6 inch screens.

Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out following this post.

Can you please tell me what you mean by "no sale"? Do you mean you would not buy either of those laptops? If so, why not? I was told Thinkpad's are pretty decent machines.

Collapse -
Response #2

In reply to: Only found 11.6 inch screens.

Gotta be honest, I don't know much about laptops, but that HP you linked to looks pretty awesome. Is it faster than the Thinkpad?

Collapse -
Sorry about that.

In reply to: Response #2

By no sale I meant I have used 11.6 and 10 inch netbooks and they are OK in a pinch but any longer than a hour and I'm done.

https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-M-5Y10c-vs-A9-9420 shows the CPUs trading blows. The Intel might win here but not by much and certainly won't be something I'd consider due to the screens on the 11 inch models.

Yes, the Thinkpads are very decent but that 11 inch screen. My bet is buyers remorse may set in later.

Collapse -
Thanks for clarifying.

In reply to: Sorry about that.

Guess I'll just leave it up to him to decide, but glad that you pointed that out. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Touch screen

In reply to: Touchscreen, general-use laptop needed. ($300-$400)

Is he sure he wants a touch screen for kids with peanut butter covered fingers?

Collapse -
Haha

In reply to: Touch screen

Yea that’s a good point. Didn’t think of that. I’ll let him know.

Collapse -
If you drop the need for the touchscreen

In reply to: Haha

I have better deals to be had. Here's one my brother shares with so many now.

For 140 bucks, a 14 inch display laptop for surfing, etc. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6A35CN2888

For 199 bucks, a 12.5 inch with a Core i5. https://www.groupon.com/deals/gs-hp-elitebook-2560p-12-5-i5-4gb-320gb-refurbished?deal_option=f3116015-0720-472b-a99b-8d5ac2ac057e

My brother and I have filled desks at the office with these. For our use we swapped out the HDD for SSD and bumped the RAM to 8GB.

Collapse -
Thank you, sir.

In reply to: If you drop the need for the touchscreen

You think that $140 one is good enough for games and things like that? Or is it meant for super basic stuff like surfing the web? If you had to compare the two, which is faster? Or if you had to pick one, which one would you pick? Or are they pretty comparable to you?

Collapse -
His kids won't be playing any CPU-intensive games, I don't

In reply to: Thank you, sir.

"His kids won't be playing any CPU-intensive games, I don't believe."

I have the one similar to the i5 model. The HP 6560b which they sold out of.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACPJ5E07062

Mine has 8GB RAM and I changed the HDD to SSD.

Games? As in Facebook Farmville? It would do that easily. 3D gaming? Nope. For that you shop in the 1,000 buck range.

Collapse -

In reply to: His kids won't be playing any CPU-intensive games, I don't

Yea', simple games. Solitaire and things like that. They're still pretty young, so no 3D anything just yet.

But as for the i5 and the one you just posted - not sure I understand. You own both? And if so, which would you recommend in this case? Any one of the two you prefer over the other? Cause I'm not sure which site you said sold out of the 6560b (Groupon, I assume, for cheaper?), but Newegg (as I'm sure you already know) is selling it for $199. So not sure whether to send him the 6560b from Newegg or the 2560p from Groupon.

Collapse -
My brother runs an insurance office.

In reply to: ...

So many laptops there. Over the years we have sought out the cheaps to fill seats.

So we likely have most of the models I linked to EXCEPT the touchscreens since the feature is uncalled for.

Collapse -

In reply to: My brother runs an insurance office.

I see. Okay, thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.