Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Totally new to programming, need some help

by whoisparker / September 10, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

I'm a web designer and am looking to get into programming. I have zero experience with programming. I think the best place to start is with C (open to suggestions) and last night purchased the K&R book on C. I almost exclusively use a Mac (OS X 10.4 - Tiger) and would like to learn my programming skills on it. The problem is I don't know where to start. I want to start with the classic "hello, world" program, but as I said, I have zero programming experience and am not sure what to do first. I don't know what application to write it in. I don't know how to compile it or what application to use or where to get one for my mac. The list goes on. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I would also be interested in any resources for learning C or programming on Mac for a total novice like me. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your suggestions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Totally new to programming, need some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Totally new to programming, need some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may wish to explore Java Script as well
by Dango517 / September 12, 2008 4:52 PM PDT
In reply to: HTML

or other script languages because these are often used within HTML.

Collapse -
Hope this helps...
by DennisMcCK / September 12, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

I was learning to program on the Mac about 10-12 years ago using Metrowerks CodeWarrior. When I went to find out where you could get it, I discovered that it was discontinued in 2005. They have several downloadable updates, but you would need a complete CodeWarrior already in order to use them. They won't work for mine from 1996/97 which requires Classic Mode.

You can find some resources at <www.themost.org>, which is where I was getting some help. It looks like their web site hasn't been updated in about 8-10 years and it still has references to Metrowerks. But it still has some good resources, including "Macintosh C" and "Essence of C," both by K. J. Bricknell.

If you go to <developer.apple.com> and click on "Mac Developer Program," you'll find information about the Apple Developer Connection. Once you sign up (anywhere from free to $3499), you should be able to find everything you need.

Dennis

Collapse -
I wouldn't call C ...
by Kees Bakker / September 12, 2008 9:53 PM PDT

a particular good choice to for a web-programmer. C isn't being used in web-applications.

Usual tools for server-side programming are php, .Net (Microsoft only), J2EE, Ruby on Rails. A recent development are Ajax-based tools, although those heavily rely on server programming also.

To make static sites (only html) any html-editor suffices in principle, although there's a lot to say for using a Content Management System like joomla or Wordpress. Use flash, for example, to make it more lively, or even java-applets.

It all depends on what you want to (learn and) do. For example, to get the feeling for object oriented programming, learn Java or C++ or C# (Microsoft only, I think). To learn about programming Windows GUI's free Visual Basic Express is nice. To learn programming algoritmes any 3GL language (like C or Pascal) is useful. For websites, see above.

Kees

Collapse -
C/C++ on a Mac
by msgale / September 13, 2008 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't call C ...

The K&R C Language book is roughly 20 years old. It is no longer the best book to learn C from. This looks like an interesting site http://masters-of-the-void.com/what-you-need.htm. Also search the web for "Programming on a MAC" Check your local community college for courses.

Collapse -
The only compiler i have installed on my system
by ````` / October 3, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

Perl. Dare I say it's cross-platform? I don't program, I just use it on other people's code for my own use in XP. The closest to programming I've done is with .NET, but you're a MACophyte so I'd skip VB in favor of Java and if you don't already, javascript (no relation).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?