Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Totally erase harddisk

by micro_xii / May 10, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

Greetings:

I have a formatted hdd and I install it with win xp. My question is, why is't my files still exist there after I format my hdd. I use recovery file software. Is there a way to totally destroy my files in hdd

thnx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Totally erase harddisk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Totally erase harddisk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what you are saying.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Totally erase harddisk

You asked, "why is't my files still exist there after I format my hdd". I'm not sure what that is't means.

If you mean why your files do not exist after formatting, then that is proper. It may be that files still exist, but the important header information for each file will have been deleted, so the files cannot be accessed.

You then said you use recovery software. Again, that would appear normal. If you have formatted your hard disk then find you need to recover some files, then that is when recovery software comes in. It will attempt to rebuild the header part for each file, but the results can be patchy.

Is there a way to totally destroy the files on your hard disk? Yes. How you do it depends on how secure you want to be. The securest way is to physically remove the disk and smash it up into little pieces.

If you want to preserve the hard disk whilst destroying all data on it, look up utilities like DBAN or Killdisk on Google.

If none of this answers your question, please re-state it.

Mark

Collapse -
re:erase hdd
by sorrow32 / June 4, 2008 8:30 PM PDT

This is due to the fact that deleting ordinary files or reformatting does not automatically get rid of the data stored in files from the hard disk. A marker or tag is only placed on the deleted files that gets rids of them from directory listing and provides available space for later use. Physically, the data is still on the disk unless it is overwritten. to overcome this situation you should use stellar phoenix <a href="http://www.drive-wipe.com/">drive wipe</a> software which totally erase your HDD and overwrite the data..

Hope this helps..

Collapse -
Re: Totally erase harddisk
by Kadooronron / July 14, 2008 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Totally erase harddisk

There's info on this subject and how to effectively eradicate files from a hard drive at http://delete-it.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.