HP forum

General discussion

Total system crash, now PC is a door stop. Bob, hep me. :)

by Dango517 / December 3, 2009 11:27 AM PST

My Compaq sr2050nx began having problems.

First the hardware drivers became uninstalled, just went away.

Then the PS failed. Replaced PS with antec 700 wt.

Then blue screens appeared. First just before the BIOS screen (briefly) then up through the start up. (I have two drive with Os's on both). Stopped briefly on desktop them went the other direction back to the BIOS. Other random error all over the place. With one that was fairly consistent, an ACPI error.

New hard drive was installed, still no go. clean installs on all HDs, nothing.

BIOS reset.

Replaces 1 GB RAM, nope, nothing, still a door stop.

My best guesses ..... Static Electric Discharge, PS spiked the mother board or BIOS virus, yet flashing them did no good.

I have that sinking feeling it is toast.

I guess using it 24/7/365/14 hours a day for nearly three years might have just killed it. Did I work my PC to death?

Any hope for it?

If it's a virus can I use those parts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Total system crash, now PC is a door stop. Bob, hep me. :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Total system crash, now PC is a door stop. Bob, hep me. :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2009 10:09 PM PST

1. Replace the CMOS battery. Or use a Volt meter and see if it's over 3V.

2. http://reviews.cnet.com/4507-3118_7-32096674.html?tag=psum shows what it's made of. The CPU is hard to kill in this line so at worst and my bet is a new motherboard could be fitted and we install Linux for a test run.

3. And that's the real test. Boot and install Ubuntu to see if that runs.

Collapse -
Yep
by Dango517 / December 6, 2009 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Ideas.
Collapse -
Good clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Yep

Try RAM tests and another motherboard.

Collapse -
Ram tested
by Dango517 / December 6, 2009 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Good clues.

2 GBs with errors. Replaced by one GB Kingston tested OK I ran it and it failed.

Yep, is MB or Processor failure. Processor is obsolete no upgrade path for another series of processors.

OK, is door stop. It is not worth MB and new OS, $300.00+ but I will use it's parts on the new PC. I suppose I could load Linux but its not likely.

I was hoping it could be salvage to give to someone.

Thank you for your second opinion

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.