Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

total slowdown. help please

by willtheconk / July 11, 2005 7:45 AM PDT

Medion Phoenix.Main processor Intel Pentium 4. 2.66ghz
(133 x20.0)
When switching on the first screeen only shows the above with press F1 or DEL to enter setup. (Pressing these makes no difference) It does not show IDE drives and takes a couple of minutes before this comes up and then it goes into the XP home screen and goes through this, then after another long delay it comes up with the User details, on clicking this it plays the MS music and this brings up the desktop. The time is about 4 and a half minutes to get there. When closing down it is also very slow. Any suggestions please. I am a 72 year old Brit so nice simple answers appreciated. (Like me !!)

Will the conk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: total slowdown. help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: total slowdown. help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please stick to one topic
by Adi / July 11, 2005 9:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
one topic
by willtheconk / July 11, 2005 5:39 PM PDT

Sorry Adi, but this was due to CNet not putting my original cry for help onto to the forum. I couldn't find it at all so sent another, and then blow me they both turned up within a minute of each other. There had been over 6 hours between. I don't know what happened with it. . .but this is my excuse.
Once again apologies
Willtheconk

Collapse -
Did you solve the problem?
by seafox13 / July 12, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: one topic

Re the issue of your PC hanging during startup. In the event that something contributing to this has been installed during the time it worked properly until now, go to Start -> Run, then type MSCONFIG and disable (uncheck) everything in the Startup tab.
If it boots up normally, then start enabling necessary startup items like anti-virus programs and firewall, etc.
Restart when prompted and see which item is causing your excessive boot time. It may seem time consuming having to reboot every time but this process of elimination will probably finger the culprit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.