General discussion

Total os failure ?

A friend claims the last time he tried to boot up his desktop with xp , he got a dialogue box saying "Please re-install windows " Says last he knows , kids were playing on computer . I know I need more info , but does this ring any bells out there besides he should get his kids some toys ? He also "lost" his os disc . Is there any way to get xp , or any windows os installed w/o buying it ? Thanks for any help !!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Total os failure ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Total os failure ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's not an error message I have seen mentioned before.

As stated, "Please re-install windows" is not a message I have seen before. Perhaps there's more to the message?

However, if your friend's computer does not boot up into Windows either in Normal Mode, or in the troubleshooting Safe mode, then it's not looking good.

If he has no installation CD or recovery partition, then the situation is looking even grimmer.

We know little about this machine except it is a Desktop, but no make or model, age, or any other details so all I can offer is;

1] If the computer is around 6 or 7 years old and came pre-installed with XP from the manufacturer, then they would have supplied the XP install CD and a drivers CD.

2] If the machine is between 5 and 2 years old, then no CDs were supplied, but instead a hidden recovery partition was created to return the system to factory conditions if needed.

3] If the system is less than 2 years old, then the first step recommended on unpacking and starting up is to create your own Recovery disks.

With most well known models, the manufacturer will supply replacement CDs for a small fee.

Mark

- Collapse -
Mark , thanks alot for....

the comprehensive info ! Cretemaniam

- Collapse -
Actually I've seen that message.

It was back on Windows 98 machines. Fast forward to today and I find many that can't tell you what OS they have and they tell you the version they use at the office. Then you get the machine and it's (was) running Windows ME. I know, I know that we shouldn't grind on them too hard.

Windows is not free to download yet so check with the maker for the restore media. And if they can move to Windows 7, I'd do that since installing it is turning out to be much easier than prior versions.

Still have to hunt for drivers but here it's been so much easier to install.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info