TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Total HD is this the answer????????

by buddyluv / January 4, 2007 6:27 AM PST

Just read in NY Times business section that Warner Bros. will be coming out with a new disc that will play programs in both Blue Ray and HD DVD formats.I hope this is the case.I was getting anxious waiting for a winner of the format wars!!!!!!!!By the way it will be called Total HD disc.
Let the debate begin...........

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Total HD is this the answer????????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Total HD is this the answer????????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, if one side is HD-DVD format and the other is B-Ray,,,
by jcrobso / January 4, 2007 6:43 AM PST

format that could work! But I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. John

Collapse -
Maybe
by givemeaname / January 4, 2007 7:13 AM PST

depends on how much data can be stored on a disk, is one side HD & the other Blu? + there is always cost.

Collapse -
Maybe,
by buddyluv / January 4, 2007 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe

From what I gather that would be the case.As far as price it would be alittle more than the HD-DVD disk.

Collapse -
HD/BluRay costs
by Dan Filice / January 4, 2007 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe,

Keep in mind that the major cost for making a DVD is in the mastering of the film (film transfer) and then making a glass master or DLT master tape for pressing the DVD. The film would get transferred once (stored as data), then a DLT master tape or glass master can be made in both formats. From here, the cost of making a DVD is minimal. I saw a number of titles in both formats, so making a single disc with both formats seems like it would be less expensive than making two separate discs. This is a move in the right direction. Beats having to buy two players.

Collapse -
Not any cure all
by NM_Bill / January 4, 2007 11:57 AM PST

because it is NOT backwards compatible. It won't play on an "ordinary" DVD player. It could except, for economic reasons, Warner isn't going to encode it so it will.

So, no cure all. Will have to maintain both an HD machine & an ordinary one.

Collapse -
Not a cure at all
by buddyluv / January 5, 2007 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Not any cure all

What you think you were going to get by on a DVD player you bought five years ago??????It goes with the territory if you want to stay up on latest technology it cost...........we all got to pay.

Collapse -
Has to be backwards compatible as I have a couple
by NM_Bill / January 5, 2007 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Not a cure at all

thousand DVDs.

Collapse -
And more answers. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 5, 2007 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: And the answer is. . .
Collapse -
Westinghouse HD
by Dan Filice / January 5, 2007 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: And more answers. . .

At last year's NAB, Toshiba had a similar display to this Westinghouse model (3840 X 2160), and it was running four displays within the one screen where each display was full HD. It was hugely expensive. To get four individual displays on the one screen it was equipped with four HDMI inputs that fed the display and each HDMI took care of it's own 1/4 of the screen. Sounds like the Westinghouse. The problem with this display is that it is way beyond us mere mortal consumers as far as cost and how consumer TVs are equipped.

Collapse -
My boss wants me to go to the NAB this year.
by jcrobso / January 5, 2007 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Westinghouse HD

So I need to get everything working at the station so I can go.
When LCD projectors first came out they were an arm and a leg, now you can get a very nice one for $2000 or less.
My first VHS was about $900, now $60 or less.
I still remember that first HDTV prototype display at the Summer CES in Chicago in 1985, only took 20 years. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?