Question

ToshibaSatelliteA30 hang prob despite motherbrd & PS upgrade

Hi,

I am perplexed by my laptop now. It is approxiamtely 6 years old now.

I had hang problems with it and I finally one day replaced the motherboard on it with a new one. This immensely solved my laptop hang problems. Where it used to hang 10-20 times a day it now hangs only a couple of times. To solve this I thought the rest of the problem is probably the power supply (PS) , so I bought another one. The PS I purposefully got a 120W instead of a 90W required thinking whereby it is better (as i had upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 2 GB and 40 GB HD to 320 GB).

Well long story short I still get random hangs.

And with Ubuntu 11.04, my PC basically hangs every 2-3 minutes just about randomly doing anything.

PC specs are as below from CPU-Z :

CPU-Z TXT Report-------------------------------------------------------------------------Binaries-------------------------------------------------------------------------CPU-Z version 1.57.1Processors-------------------------------------------------------------------------Number of processors 1Number of threads 1APICs-------------------------------------------------------------------------Processor 0 -- Core 0 -- Thread 0 0Processors Information-------------------------------------------------------------------------Processor 1 ID = 0 Number of cores 1 (max 1) Number of threads 1 (max 1) Name Intel Pentium 4 Codename Northwood Specification Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Package (platform ID) Socket 478 mPGA (0x3) CPUID F.2.9 Extended CPUID F.2 Brand ID 8 Core Stepping D1 Technology 0.13 um Core Speed 2400.3 MHz Multiplier x FSB 18.0 x 133.3 MHz Rated Bus speed 533.4 MHz Stock frequency 2400 MHz Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2 L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size FID/VID Control no

Chipset-------------------------------------------------------------------------Northbridge ATI RS300/RS300M rev. 02Southbridge ATI SB200 rev. 00Graphic Interface AGPAGP Revision 3.0AGP Transfer Rate 8xAGP SBA supported, enabledMemory Type Memory Size 2048 MBytesMemory SPD-------------------------------------------------------------------------DIMM # 1 SMBus address 0x50 Memory type DDR Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 1024 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz) Part number VS1GSDS400 Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts EPP no XMP noJEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency JEDEC #1 2.0-2-2-6-n.a. @ 133 MHz JEDEC #2 2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz JEDEC #3 3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHzDIMM # 2 SMBus address 0x51 Memory type DDR Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000) Size 1024 MBytes Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz) Part number VS1GSDS400 Number of banks 2 Data width 64 bits Correction None Registered no Buffered no Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts EPP no XMP noJEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency JEDEC #1 2.0-2-2-6-n.a. @ 133 MHz JEDEC #2 2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz JEDEC #3 3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: ToshibaSatelliteA30 hang prob despite motherbrd & PS upgrade
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ToshibaSatelliteA30 hang prob despite motherbrd & PS upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried this on a newer dual or more core machine.

For me the move to a newer Intel i5 CPU based machine really cleared all this up.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) when I buy one I can than try it out :) But not right now an
- Collapse -
Answer
acpi flag cause of pain in linux

Ok I remembered after a while that I have to set the acpi flag to off on my system to keep my system stable under linux. That solved the issue with linux.

So I now have the only original problem that what else could be there in my laptop hardware wise that could cause random (not so often now) hang problems having chaged the PS and motherboard.

- Collapse -
"chaged the PS and motherboard."

Maybe that's a clue we can use. When we change the motherboard almost all versions of Windows will be iffy. That is, Microsoft didn't make this OS good enough to deal with such a change without a fresh install and even then they expect you to know which drivers and what order to install them.

Bob

- Collapse -
windows was reinstalled twice since, drivers ok.

Windows has been fresh installed twice after the change of motherboard.

The same model of the motherboard was used for the replacement.

Driver order can't really be an issue here I think. I have all the original drivers and the order is not too significant except for a couple of points.

- Collapse -
Driver order can't really be an issue here I think.

"Driver order can't really be an issue here I think,"

Sadly it does matter. Witness too many posts like 7726-7587_102-2699006.html

--> But let's look at the biggest cause of hangs I encountered over that past decade. HEAT and users that thought that heat sink compound as well as proper mounting of the heat sink was optional.
Bob

- Collapse -
Heat not an issue

As to the heat issue, I clean my fan and heatsink from dust every few months. I use Artic Silver as a heat comp

- Collapse -
Then it may be time to replace more parts.

As time passes a part may develop an odd fault. One of the banes of today's gear is no diagnostics that we can trust. The techs are reduced to guessing what board.

". No conflicts or yellow icons. Everything works (except when the computer hangs) and so on."

Again, that is not a sign the drivers are not an issue. But it is a good start.

--> Hope for an entry in the Event Viewer for a clue.
Bob

CNET Forums