Alert

Toshiba Satellite Won't Finalize After Restore, Help Please!

Hello All,

I have an issue and in need of some dire help!

Toshiba Satellite (L355D-S7825) running Vista Home Premium.

I performed a System Restore (via partition and then disks) but it will never finalize.

1) At the end of the process, after Windows is loaded, a window opens to load individual drivers/programs and then reboots. It however is in an endless loop with the last two programs, "User Guide" and "Desktop Links 1.5". It states it was sucessful but upon boot up starts the process of installing those again.

2) An "Administrator" account also shows and states it is "locked" or "disabled". I can create another Administrator account but it defaults to this bogus "Administrator" account with each re-boot? At times it requests a login, which I cannot due to password requirement. I must reboot with that which usually takes me into windows as the system tries to again install the above programs. A password recovery utility states there is no password associated with that account and is open.

WHAT TO DO?

P.S. I've tried partition restores, disk restores, a new hard drive, and tested RAM with no reported errors.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Toshiba Satellite Won't Finalize After Restore, Help Please!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Toshiba Satellite Won't Finalize After Restore, Help Please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just so we cover off an old issue.

Is the RAM "stock" and are all USB things unplugged?

Also, did you use the CANNED AIR on the vents before all this?

If this still fails the machine likely needs repairs. I'm making some big assumptions that the BIOS is set to it's defaults or as required by the OS.

This failure has been seen if the user tinkered with the SATA settings.
Good hunting,
Bob

- Collapse -
update

Thanks for the reply.

1) All OEM products, nothing in usb plugs and I blew the computer out prior. It didn't need it though as kept very clean.

2) Apparently this is an issue with Toshiba though as Google shows many consumers/techs have complained about this very thing, with install getting caught in a continous loop. I've not been able to find a good solution, though one poster said to go into System>Setup and delete all Registry entries that have "OOBE" and "SYSPREP".

I did so but then Windows wouldn't load after that. I however deleted something else I thought was associated with it, so maybe I erred doing that?

As I've learned, OOBE (out of box experience) is only supposed to run with an initial setup. It is apparently stuck in this loop.

An old post inquired whether an individual could delete the "OOBE" file within the (CHappy drive itself but no follow up was ever offered. I tried that also but the Computer won't allow it to be deleted.

3) I've also learned Vista and other Windows versions come with a "Built-In" Administrator Account, which is supposed to be hidden from the consumer. There is actually no password associated with it, so I can create one if desired but think it resets each time I reboot? I will have to test further.

4) The computer is running fine at the moment and I've created another Administrator Account, "Ralph". The OOBE tries to load but never does in this account, which is good. You however must "x" out several error popup windows. I cannot recall what they were and as the computer is updating at the moment.

If I could stop this (a) OOBE from running and (b) stop the Built-In Administrator from loading then I think the computer would function properly with such.

All input is appreciated!!!!!

- Collapse -
About that password.

For years I've used NTPASSWD to reset it in under 5 minutes. I can't comment why folk fight that one so much.

Once I can start in any admin account with safe mode there are a plethora of tools to manage startup items. I've used too many such as HIJACKTHIS, Startup Manager, Startup Cop and more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Another idea.

1. Set the date prior to install to about when the machine was new to avoid an issue with preinstalled Norton and others.

Why? Because the install will work but then Norton auto-expires and creates a mess. By lying about the date Norton is happy and gives me a chance to send it to silicon heaven later.

2. Along with item 1, I disable any network connections.
Bob

- Collapse -
UPDATE 2

Ok, I have a new update.

1) When last I was in the "default" Administrator Account and while the drivers/programs were trying to finalize, I noted there is a "read me" option under the Install Wizard. Within that, there was some option to repair or diagnose (to that effect) which I clicked on. Upon doing so a short diagnosis program ran with possibly a Command Prompt box showing at some point (cannot recall exactly).

Anyhow, after it finished the screen went blank, as if sleeping. After a little while I pushed the start button to wake it at which Windows then began the actual final process by asking for personal preferences(Windows Key, Time Zone, Update Setup, etc). I had never reached that point and assumed maybe Toshiba was different. After entering all the details it re-booted into my account login.

*The finalization process now no longer starts.
*The hidden/default Adm. Account now no longer shows.
*The computer is running good, but have one bug...

2) A smaller Command Prompt box now opens after Windows loads, as if waiting for you to enter something. After a few seconds an error message then pops up saying (Windows Cannot Find 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SYSPREP\HideCmd.exe').

Everything seems to be working perfectly and I can easily close those pop up windows, but how may I disable this Command Prompt from coming up?????

MEANWHILE:

I'm hoping because I initiated this 'repair' within the hidden/default Adm. Account that it didn't fully apply within my Adm. Account? Therefore, I've installed the second hard drive and will attempt to repeat the process but from within my account. Fingers crossed......

- Collapse -
Continue

I meant to say in my last post the following things are very good

*default/hidden Adm Account now no showing (as should be the case)
*drivers/programs now not in the endless loop

I just now need to figure out how to stop the Command Prompt box from coming up. The computer will be functioning as normal with that....

- Collapse -
So why not use startup tools to find that?

I find HIJACKTHIS along with all those others to find startup items that I could then remove.
Bob

- Collapse -
RUNNING FINE!!

I'M HAPPY TO SAY THE COMPUTER IS FINALLY BACK TO RUNNING NORMAL!!

NO POPUPS AND SUCH. I RAN A FEW UPDATES FROM MICROSOFT AND TOSHIBA AND UPON REBOOTING THE COMMAND PROMPT WINDOW NO LONGER CAME UP.

I'M NOW IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING HIS FILES BACK ONTO THE COMPUTER.

AGAIN, EVERYTHING IS FINALLY RUNNING AS IT SHOULD!!

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.....

CNET Forums