HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Satellite Load Error at startup

by shuhbonkboo / August 24, 2005 10:53 AM PDT

I have a M45-S265. I tried using the recovery disk that was included with the laptop. After formatting the hdd it restarted but I received this error:
Load Error...
Press a key to reboot.

When I do that, it keeps repeating the same message even after restarting it. How do I fix this?

The reason I got this problem is because I had the PXE error that I tried to fix by just formatting since that was the first thing that came to mind.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite Load Error at startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite Load Error at startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About the PXE message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

It's usually not an OS issue but a simple BIOS setting. Sorry to see you lose that round.

As to the nonboot of the recovery CD, be sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD, unplug all USB devices and try one more time.

Bob

Collapse -
check the media...
by server / August 25, 2005 11:31 AM PDT

>>After formatting the hdd it restarted but I
>>received this error:
>>Load Error...
>>Press a key to reboot.

Did you damage the Cd? check to see if its
damaged.

Collapse -
I have same ''load error!'' problem
by RolandNJ / September 8, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: check the media...

A few days ago I started to have the same problem. I backed up all the data on my Toshiba Satellite A35-S209, then used the original restoration DVD shipped with the PC. After that I kept getting:
Load Error...
Press a key to reboot.

Nothing happens when you press any key. Since then I've tried restoring backup image I had made using Acronis True Image. But I still get the same error. In total, I've restored 5 times and still get that error.

My PC specs: Pentium IV running Windows XP Home. Less than 2 years old. No damage but it always runs very hot

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated! I'm seriously thinking of buying an iBook after 15 yrs dealing with Windows nonsense.

Collapse -
CD/DVD drives (even Apple drives) do expire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2005 11:00 PM PDT

With CD/DVD drives only lasting a few years, this is typical of a failed drive. You may have other hardware issues but the message is not from Windows. Jump ship if you must, but you can't escape what has happened in the industry with reduced lifespans of components in a search to lower costs and prices.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Load+Error...Press+a+key+to+reboot. notes many prior discussions with many notes about failed hardware.

I'd fix it since the laptop is still worth fixing.

Bob

Collapse -
A few more details about my problem
by RolandNJ / September 8, 2005 11:38 PM PDT

I left out of my previous post that this "load error" problem started when I decided to reinstall my OS. I backed up all data first then used the original system DVD.

Also, While troubleshooting, I have tried to reset all the my Toshiba Satellite's bios settings to the default factory state and made sure to boot from DVD/CD drive instead of hard drive.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
What I can't tell...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2005 12:25 AM PDT

Is if the restore CDs are booting. Since no one can see what you are doing, you have to supply all details.

Bob

Collapse -
Restoration CD attempts
by RolandNJ / September 10, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: What I can't tell...

Hi Bob, per your suggestion, I've tried to confirm if the built-in DVD/CD-Rom drive is working. All below was tested without any external devices plugged into any ports.

Scenario 1: When the device boot priority list is set to #1 hard drive and #2 DVD/CD-Rom, the ''load error'' occurs within the first 10 seconds after startup. Pressing any key doesn't work to reboot. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del will work to reboot from that point.

Scenario 2: When the device boot priority is set to #1 DVD/CD-Rom and #2 hard drive, the empty DVD/CD drive seems to be active for a moment before switching to the hard drive, then the ''load error'' message appears.

Scenario 3: When the device boot priority is set to #1 DVD/CD-Rom and #2 hard drive, but I have either the original Toshiba Windows XP restoration DVD or my own Acronis True Image rescue CD, the respective restoration program seems to load. I'll follow those instructions, reinstall everything, then on the first boot afterwards (regardless of DVD/CD or hard drive in #1 boot priority), I get the ''load error''.

Scenario 4: You gave me an idea to determine if the built-in DVD/CD drive might be the problem, so I set the boot priority to #1 External Devices, #2 hard drive and #3 DVD/CD. Then I plugged in an external USB DVD drive and rebooted. It's hard to tell whether the PC recognized an external device was plugged in (no noise or lights) and quickly displayed ''load error''. I tested with and without a restoration DVD/CD in the external drive, and I could not get either restoration software to load from the external HP DVD DC5000 drive.

Regarding boot priority order, I also tried disabling devices (i.e.: hard drive, DVD/CD drive, external devices, network boot) and just trying to boot from one at a time. To me it seems every time I try to boot from the HD, I get the load error.

I've been searching Toshiba's knowledge base (not too helpful), the link you posted and other boards. I found one suggestion about creating a boot CD with certain drivers and I'm going to try that next.

I appreciate your suggestions. -Roland

Collapse -
The only method I'd use...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 1:54 AM PDT

Is the boot priority with the CD/DVD drive as first. Your choice to change, but for restoring that's what I use.

It appears the restore is failing. Why this is so is not evident yet. Here's what I might do.

1. Use the Toshiba restore CDs. The Acronis restore CDs are suspect.

2. If the Tosh CDs fail, then use a disk wipe program like http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_llfmt_what.html#why or other tools to zerofill the drive. Also, find the make of the drive and see if they have a drive fitness test.

Best of luck in recovery.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.