Question

Toshiba Satellite Laptop won't power up

Hi,

I have a problem with a Toshiba Satellite L150-18D laptop which won't power on.

When I press the 'on' button, the light with 'power' symbol comes on for about half-a-second, then goes out. The is no indication anything is happened (fan doesn't start up - no sounds or anything). There is no difference if the AC is connected or not connected. The 'charging' light does not come on at all.

The battery may have ran out - am not sure. My wife fell asleep so isn't sure but it does normally hibernate when it thinks it has 5% of power left.

I have swapped the battery with an older one (this was replaced about 6 months ago and I have never got round to recyclcing the old one). Now, the old one wasn't working properly and by now will likely be completely drained. When this battery was in, it still didn't start and the charging light still didn't light but this time the power light didn't come on either when I pressed the button.

I've tried doing a system reset but no joy.

I don't have any other batteries or AC packs to try it with and there is nothing visibly wrong (like a black 'bang' mark on the plug).

Any ideas anyone? The obvious things are the AC pack or the battery (the old battery may be a red herring) but I don't have anything spare to test with or know anyone else with a similar AC pack (the other Toshiba one had a slightly different sized connector so couldn't test it).

I don't want to keep buying new parts to try for it if this is indicative of another problem. I don't have a vault meter to test the AC pack and am less keen to try the 'licking whilst plugged in' method

Cheers for any help.

Geoff

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Toshiba Satellite Laptop won't power up
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Toshiba Satellite Laptop won't power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: adapter

Find a shop that lets you try another adapter and a replacement battery.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Old batteries are killing many laptops.

The old battery stresses the motherboard and the charger. I'm still wondering how to tell folk to not push their luck with 2+ year old batteries that don't work for more than a few minutes.

Try removing the AC, the battery and do the generic reset noted at the top of this forum. Apply the AC (only) and re-test.
Bob

- Collapse -
Batteries

Hi

The battery is only 4 months old - I just tried the old one to see if the new battery had developed a problem so I knew what the problem was and to replace the battery (if that was the problem).

The generic reset didn't work. I'm going to try and get hold of a new charger to see if that is the problem Happy

Thank you

Geoff

- Collapse -
Since the charging light does not come on.

It's time to find a shop to take a look at the adapter.

- Collapse -
A sad finding on non-maker batteries.

I've lost count of bad batteries I've encountered over the past few years. Hope the maker stands up to the claim.

CNET Forums