Question

Toshiba Satellite Laptop A505 S6005 Memory Low

Hi,
I have an older Toshiba Satellite Laptop A505 S6005. I continually get the low memory warnings and I just tried to download Norton AntiVirus and it said I did not have enough space. I am not very good with the computers. I tried doing what I saw about changing something with a program or page size to custom that was on the internet to fix it and it would not let me. I went to Crucial.com and ran the scan they offer on my computer. It showed that I need more ram, I have 4 and it said to go to 8. I have 2 slots at 2 gb each and I should go to 2 at 4gb each. I watched a video and I can change that. It also says that I have Storage: SATA 2 - 3Gb/s and it is 99% full. I am not good at computer stuff so I am hoping that someone can help me with this. It listed the compatible ram and also the compatible SSD's. Do I really need to do both or would just doing one work? If so which or if both even tho it lists many compatible SSD's I really do not know what to get. When it listed compatible RAM it list 2gb which I need really 4gb so I am worried something on the compatible list could be like what I already have and useless. I prefer not to take my computer someplace, something always goes wrong and it is always a nightmare. I think I can watch a youtube video for these things as it seems straightforward. Can anyone please give me a little guidance in plain english on what would work. Also it says on Crucials report chipset intel 5 if that is of any use.
Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Toshiba Satellite Laptop A505 S6005 Memory Low
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Toshiba Satellite Laptop A505 S6005 Memory Low
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Windows doesn't give such a warning.

I wonder if Norton is. Windows can complain about disk space so I'd want to know what app is telling you this.

As to RAM, 4GB is fine for some use, 8GB is nice. Just use what Crucial tells you but norton can eat memory and actually cause the problem.

- Collapse -
I'm going to write. Low disk space.

A SSD would not help in that you would need a larger drive than you have now.

Can you share what size the drive C is now?

- Collapse -

ok Low disk space is fine.

on C it says 102MB free of 453GB

So when you say I would need a larger drive than I have now is that something I can easily buy and add to the computer?

Thanks

- Collapse -
That's VERY LOW DISK SPACE.

When I see this I have to find what's taking up that much space.

But first the sweet spot of SSD is the 480 to 512GB size at just over 120USD (prices move around a lot.) So that won't get you more space.

I see TREESIZE mentioned if you don't know where the space is being used. Often I find the owner knows as they are downloading movies and that has to get moved off the drive.

-> But a quick fix can be to turn System Restore off then back on (how is on the web) and on Windows 10 turn the following off as well.
https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

- Collapse -

A little screen just popped up with what looks like a little wrench or tool and says Low Disk Space and underneath it it says your are running very low on disk space on (CHappy.
hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Answer
I suspect

Your root problem is your disk is full.

Try using 'disk cleanup' a built in windows tool.....use google.
Another nice tool is 'ccleaner' the free version.....use google.

As for ram.....for most users....unless your a gamer.....4GB is fine.

- Collapse -
Toshiba A505 s6005

Ok I will try that. I am not a gamer so then what i have in RAM will be fine then. I thought that was what was out of space. I do have a lot of quickbook files and that kind of stuff.
If the clean up doesn't do much then is there a way to increase disk space?
Thanks

- Collapse -
Cleanup

If the cleanup does not buy you much then your off into uninstalling unneeded programs and archiving old saved files.

- Collapse -
clean up

ok I did clean up and before it showed I had 102MB free of 453GB now I have 218MB free of 453GB.

Is there anywhere on the computer that shows what percentage of what is taking up the most space so I know if 70% is pictures etc. I can remove a bunch from there. I went through in the past and used the remove programs/uninstall and it took forever and it seemed what I did really did not make much of a difference.
Thank you!

- Collapse -
Space

CNET Forums