Computer Help forum

Question

Toshiba Satellite L770-ST6nX1 will not turn on

by Coachbarton / August 15, 2014 6:57 AM PDT

Lap top was plugged in and working with full charge.

Turned around and had blank screen and computer would not turn on.

I also leave it plugged in almost all the time, learned that can be bad.

Did this 3-4 times, took battery out and unplugged computer from adapter, held start button down for about 1 minute and tried to restart.

Used compressed air and blew into fans, a little dust came out.

Took battery out and tried to run straight from adapter - nothing

Replaced CMOS battery inside - nothing

Then took it to a computer repair store where they charged me $40 and suggested it was the CMOS battery or charger. So I purchased a new charger.

Plugged it in with new charger and turned it on. It worked and immediately showed the battery was at 98%. I ran a virus scan, disk cleaner, and played on it for about 1 hour.

Then it died again.

When plugged in two of the lights come on white, and a third will come times come on orange. You can hear the DVD player clicking, but nothing works.

Was going to order a new battery for it, but curious why it does not work when plugged in to adapter without battery in.

Looking for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satellite L770-ST6nX1 will not turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satellite L770-ST6nX1 will not turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a main board or power board problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 7:06 AM PDT
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3253773 seems to peg this as a 17 inch 2012 model. I think repair will be more than most will go for. As a final test I remove all RAM, HDD, ODD, and cards like WiFi and see if it will power up. If not I'm looking at the remaining bad set of parts. 17 inch models typically fail like this for students as they carry it everywhere. The stress eventually takes its toll.
Bob
Collapse -
Thanks will try your suggestions.
by Coachbarton / August 15, 2014 7:13 AM PDT

I was all ready thinking it could be the board and was a little worried.

Do these usually run without the battery in them straight from the adapter. I heard some lap tops can't.

Collapse -
Battery? varies with model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 7:21 AM PDT

So far I have only one model that does that at the office. It's over 10 years old and did it when new.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Just to be sure
by Jimmy Greystone / August 15, 2014 9:34 AM PDT

Just to be sure, have you verified this isn't just a backlight issue? If you plug it in and press the power button then watch the lights for things like HDD activity, does it give the appearance of booting? Even better is if you've got a spare monitor you can connect to the thing and see if you can get any kind of output, but in the years I did computer repairs I probably lost count of the number of units that were "dead" or "didn't work" that just needed a new inverter for the backlight. That was probably 75% of them if I had to guess now, probably around 20% of the rest needed a new display panel and the remainder were actually dead and needed a new motherboard or something like that.

If you're lucky it's the inverter. It's only about $20 for the part, but getting to it will be where the service tech will learn their labor charge.

And to answer a different question below: It's generally only gaming laptops that can't run at full tilt without some assist from the battery. ASUS models are infamous for that limitation, not sure about others off the top of my head. Your regular run of the mill laptops will work just fine with only the adapter under normal circumstances.

Collapse -
Does not give any indication of booting
by Coachbarton / August 15, 2014 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to be sure

When it did come on the one time, lots of lights in the front going on, etc. The guy at the computer repair place, who did not obviously fix it, checked the screen and did not think it was a problem. Thanks

Collapse -
I'd check it myself
by Jimmy Greystone / August 15, 2014 1:05 PM PDT

I'd check it myself. Even for someone who knows what they're looking for, diagnosing a backlight problem can be difficult, and quite frankly if they came back with it either being the CMOS battery or the AC adapter, I don't think they were really doing the most thorough job of diagnosing the unit. To me it sounds like they gave you a couple of plausible options that might get you to buy something as opposed to telling you it's likely the display panel or motherboard, where after you saw the quote, you'd probably say no thanks and walk out the door. I could be wrong, hope I am, but that's just the impression I'm getting from your telling the story. Besides, regardless of any of that, what do you have to lose besides a few minutes of your time? Compare that to the potential gains of finding it might be a relatively inexpensive repair. It's actually a very easy repair if you don't factor in the bit about having to rip half the unit apart just to get at the inverter.

Collapse -
Good plan
by Coachbarton / August 16, 2014 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd check it myself

Your absolutely right it can't hurt to try.

I will work on it this weekend.

And yes the guy at the tech shop did not really seem real passionate about solving my little issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?