HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Satelite A205

by IrajG / July 21, 2009 8:39 AM PDT

I purchased a Toshiba A205 in Aug 2008. Eversince I have spent numbers of hours on the phone with Toshiba Customer No Service, technicians in Phillipines, Korea and other countries. The unit has been sent for repair to Toshiba repair depot twice and it has been repaired by Toshiba authorized service center in Atlanta three times. The motherboard has been replaced twice and the harddrive has been replaced twice as well. Bear in mind that all of this has happend within less than one year from the date of purchase. I have lost all my data several times and had no way of recovering them. I teach and use laptop in my taching and consequently I have been left with no laptop to use for over a month. Customer service informed me that any laptop which has been to the shop three times it will be replaced. This was never kept for reasons beyond beliefe.This is my second Toshiba Laptop. The first one quite beyond repair in less than three years. I do not recommed Toshiaba laptop products to anyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Satelite A205
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Satelite A205
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2009 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Satelite A205

Today's laptops like you noted are not built to last but a few years.

Have you considered something tough like the Panasonic Tough Book?
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop
by IrajG / July 22, 2009 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What you need to know.

Yes, I have learned that I should not by a Toshiba Laptop any more no matter how they drop their prices and make it attractive. I felt responsible to let the public know.

Collapse -
That genre of laptop is made by HP and others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop

Be sure to supply all the names which use things like 300 Cycle batteries.

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop
by IrajG / July 22, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

I do not undersatnd your request. Pls. elaborate.

Collapse -
Try to list all the names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop

The usual names in the stores use parts like "300 cycle laptop batteries" so your complaint about relatively short lives of the product is not limited to the first maker you posted about.

If you want to tell everyone about this issue, be sure to include all the makers that are making such short lived products.
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite A205
by IrajG / July 23, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

Bob, I am not a technician to open up the laptop and identify every part and include the manufacturers' name in my comment. When you buy a brand name you expect to buy top quality hardware.
Iraj

Collapse -
We've been sold a bill of goods.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2009 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Satellite A205

It looks to me like consumers are not looking hard enough at what they are buying.

I offered an item that is listed in the 98% of the specifications of all laptops. This way you can get an early indication of the "life" of at least one component.

Having learned this, would you consider machines with longer lifespans or extending the warranties?

-> Just so you know, some think that companies should cover out of warranty failures.
Bob

Collapse -
If i could add
by deniceels / July 23, 2009 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba Satellite A205

if every brand name would be of quality, then these companies will never be in business as their product will outlive their running and they will have no new revenues to supplement their cost.

I always take the word 'brand name' as a label of a company pasted on a product, and call it brand name. Even an obscure company can some times produce a better quality product than a well-known, but that's just me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.