Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Toshiba Requires Toshiba Software

by lsuedulive / February 14, 2010 5:01 AM PST

Installing XP home on a Toshiba A150 S2194 Laptop.

Does Toshiba Tech Requires Toshiba Software installation for registering with MS / Validating the 25 digit key install sticker on the laptop case?

I have a TOSHIBA A105 S2194 laptop with no recovery disks.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Requires Toshiba Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Requires Toshiba Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 5:07 AM PST

But your issue isn't clear.

You can install a genuine version of XP on an XP compatible computer, but you need to be sure you have all the drivers needed for that system before you attempt the install.

Once installed satisfactorily, then with an active internet connection you will be able to activate XP.

How to activate XP.

Mark

Collapse -
Dont have a disk
by lsuedulive / February 14, 2010 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: No.

XP home was installed with the Dell CD's 25 digit key.
Went online to register the XP home with Microsoft but MS would not accept the legal 25 digit key on the laptop sticker

Collapse -
Which looks proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Dont have a disk

The OEM versions are reduced rights versions which die if you don't have the maker's version. You admit to using a Dell CD on a Toshiba so nothing is broken, in fact it fails just like it should.

Go ahead and get your complaint that it should do that but the licenses are designed to keep the OEM license and version locked to the machines so they don't leak out.

Now all you need is the restore media for the Tosh or a new license. Just because it has a CD-Key on the machine does not entitle you to using the full XP Retail CD or the Dell XP CD OS and license. But as I wrote, go ahead and rant a little if you must. It won't fix this.
Bob

Collapse -
Work Around
by lsuedulive / February 14, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Which looks proper.

A guy on the Toshiba laptop send a Work Around ~ it is now DL'ing updates

Collapse -
Yes and No
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 5:34 AM PST

Yes and no. So long as a Toshiba BIOS is detected, you won't ever have to enter in the license key or activate Windows so long as it's the version that came with the laptop. Anything you buy after that is going to be different.

If the laptop came with XP, and you're using the XP disc supplied by Toshiba, then all you need to do is pop it in the drive, let it do it's thing, and you're done.

Collapse -
Jimmy No
by lsuedulive / February 14, 2010 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and No

Hey Jimmy,

I dont have any software for Toshiba, or a recovery partition.
I have Dell XP home and eMachine XP home.
There is the 25 digit key on the laptop

Collapse -
Then you're screwed
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Jimmy No

Then you're screwed unless you can get Toshiba to send you a copy of the restore media.

Collapse -
Im Too Smart
by lsuedulive / February 14, 2010 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Then you're screwed

Jim,

Im Too Smart to be screwed. I can install Dell or eMachine XP home then use the; msoobe.exe /a

Collapse -
Except
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Im Too Smart

Except that this is a violation of the license agreement, and thus you are running a pirated version of Windows now. So, I expect this thread will be locked soon, and hopefully the Microsoft reps who lurk around will pass along the info to their bosses who will then start the process of figuring out who you are, and coming after you.

You have a valid XP license, but you need to use the install disc that is supplied by Toshiba or you are installing an illegal copy of the software. You'll also likely find your license key doesn't work.

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Except

The forum policy is clear about this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?