Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Portege-HD upgrade help

by prberg / November 16, 2005 1:42 PM PST

Hi all... I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my problem.

I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT notebook computer and I want to upgrade the exsisting hard drive (it's only 6GB). I bought a new Toshiba HD on ebay (40gb) and I installed it... but the computer won't recognize the drive. With an adapter cable I was able to test the new drive in my desktop and install windows. Everything works great. When I put it in the notebook it doesn't work.

I have upgraded the notebook to the latest BIOS version (1.60). I also made sure the drive is jumpered as 'master' and is installed exactly the same as the old one. In the BIOS it says there is no drive installed even though I can hear the drive spinning.

Can anyone help? What is the largest drive I can use in this computer? Can I even upgrade from the original drive? I noticed on Toshiba's website that they sell 80gb drives for this computer.

Old Hard Drive: MK6015MAP
New Hard Drive: MK4025GAS

thanks so much,

Peter Berg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Portege-HD upgrade help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Portege-HD upgrade help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For such I stay under 32GB disk sizes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 8:52 PM PST

Try a smaller hard disk.

Bob

Collapse -
Same topic ... new question
by MX1100 / November 25, 2005 8:02 PM PST

I am also attempting to upgrade the drive in my Portege 3440ct to a 20 gig drive.

I am able to run the install for WinXP from my usb cd-drive, but I get the blue screen when it starts up windows. PartitionMagic is able to see the whole drive and set up the partition. It says the drive checks out with no errors.

Any ideas? I have tried Ghost recovery (I ghosted the 6 gig drive to bring it over) but I get the same blue screen.

I am stymied. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred

Collapse -
Just one thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 9:42 PM PST

I have never used Ghost or Partition Magic during the install phase of XP. What is that needed for?

Bob

Collapse -
Ghost / Partition Magic
by MX1100 / November 28, 2005 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thought.

Partition Magic allows you to create and manage the partitions on your hard drive. I use it to create a partition for my programs and another for my data. It makes backuping up data a lot easier. You can resize, move etc partitions.

Ghost allows you to make an image of the hard drive to put it on the new drive. That means you don't need to load XP, drives, and all your configurations. The new drive behaves just like the old drive.

Collapse -
Thanks, but I don't see why I'd need these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2005 3:46 AM PST

XP's installer has partitioning capability so I just saved myself the expense.

Ghost doesn't seem to be needed either.

bob

Collapse -
Toshiba Portege-HD upgrade problem
by matt_fenton / March 4, 2006 7:22 PM PST

Hi Peter,
I've got myself in exactly the same situation .....did you ever get the 40Gb running in the 3440CT ?
Malcolm

Collapse -
Won't recognise HDD
by maximus1964 / March 5, 2006 4:57 PM PST

It's most likely going to be because when your board/bios was made no drives of this size were made. You may have some luck with a 20Gb HDD.

Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!