Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Toshiba Portege 660CDT User Manual problem?

by boyetsierra / April 6, 2006 10:49 PM PDT

I am a Greenhorn for sure.I downloaded this user manual but when I tried to open it after unzipping it the message read:Unpack the 3 files to disks and install manual with the setup on disk 1.I have no clue where to begin.Could someone help me out. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Portege 660CDT User Manual problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Portege 660CDT User Manual problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not clear.
by Kees Bakker / April 7, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

Even a greenhorn can try to express himself clearly.

You downloaded one zip-file, I assume, and you unzipped it. Tell the result: folders and files they contain.
Then you opened something and got a message. What exactly did you open? With what program? What message did you get.

In case all clarification fails: tell exactly what you downloaded (site ..., clicked this, choose that, answered so and then downloaded ...), so someone here can download it and see what it is all about. Just downloading a manual without drivers can't be very harmful.

Collapse -
Thanks for responding Kees.
by boyetsierra / April 7, 2006 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Not clear.

I opened the Toshiba Computer Systems UK web site.Went to Download a Manual.Looking for a user manual Toshiba 660cdt laptop.
Found the Manual I wanted, clicked on the Documentation I needed.
Downloaded the file:userman_660_(3).zip to my desktop.
Clicked open the file.
Box showing:WinZip Self -Extractor
When completed clicked Open file again.
Small box message read:Unpack the 3 files to disks and install manual with the setup on disk 1.
I have miles to go before I can understand some of this stuff.I hope this helps. Kman

Collapse -
You need to take note. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2006 8:58 AM PDT

of where the files were extracted. You can click on the .zip file again, and take careful notice of where the files are extracted. Don't complete it as you've already done so, just do it to see where the files are located.

This sounds like users manual installer that will put Start Menu options at your disposal.

Once you've found the three files, one of them might be a .exe file and it will install the user's manual.

Holler back when you've found out where the files are located and what happened if you've done as I asked.

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Finding files
by boyetsierra / April 7, 2006 11:58 AM PDT

Thanks Wayne. Okay I did exactly what you said.I found the files in
C/documents. The file is OUM 660-1.exe.I tried to open it and nothing happens.So I tried the others same thing nothing happened.Sorry for all the trouble but I do need that manual.

Collapse -
No trouble. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2006 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Finding files

That file should have run the manual. What are the other files?

Have you tried clicking Start, Run, and navigate to that file, and run it from there?

Collapse -
Forget the Manual it's not worth it.
by boyetsierra / April 7, 2006 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: No trouble. . .

Thanks to all of you for the patience.I am too frustrated to continue this search for a Manual.I'm going to go out and buy one.I never thought this would be such a pain.Screw it. Kman

Collapse -
Been there, done that. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 7, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

got the scars.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Really doubt if you can buy it.
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2006 1:09 AM PDT

If you don't succeed, here are the instructions I figured out. The procedure seems a little bit outdated, to be frank. It's quite understandable you don't understand it, I would say.

The file you donwloaded (I found, which I think is correct also) contains 1 file, called oum660-1.exe. It's a self-extracting file, so if you run it, it asks where to put the files it contains. I had created a folder c:\download, so that's what I filled in. That gave a subfolder tinstall, that contained a subfolder oum660, and that contained 4 files: online1.exe, online2.exe, online3.exe and readme.txt with the instructions.

The full text of the readme file is ''Toshiba Portege 660 Online User Manual unpack the 3 files to disks and install manual with the SETUP on disk 1''.

To continue you should have 3 1.44 Mb diskettes first. Then go into a command window, put in the first diskette, cd to the download\tinstall\oum660 folder (or whatever you called it) and type online1 (+enter). This should show something like:

''Disk eXPress Self-Extract Diskette Image (OS/2 and DOS)
Version 2.10a 02/12/93 Copyright (c) 1991-93 SHAREWARE VERSION

Usage: ONLINE1 [/t] [drive:]

/s Suppress overwrite prompt
/t Test image integrity only
drive Drive letter of a valid floppy disk drive

Note: The target diskette must be formatted and must not have any bad sectors.''

which shows that you should type the following command:
online1 a:
Same for online2 and diskette #2 and online3 and diskette #3.

So now you have three diskettes. Diskette #1 contains a file setup.exe. So put in diskette #1 again, type
and follow the instructions.

Piece of cake, in fact.

I looked up the specs of this machine in product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/portege_660cdt.pdf
Seems like a nice 1996 laptop. Intel Pentium 150, 16 Mb EDO RAM (extendable to 80 Mb), 11.3'' color TFT display, 1.35 Gb hard disk, internal 28.8kbs modem, sound card. User selectable either DOS 6.2/Windows 3.11 or Windows 95. Comes with AOL, Compuserve and Netscape Navigator.
Personally, I wouldn't spend $129 for such a machine, offered at, I think. But there must be people who do, or it wouldn't be offered.

Can you tell if you managed to buy the manual somewhere? And it might be interesting to know why you need it after all those years.

Hope this helps. If you really don't succeed, and have a good story, I might be willing to do the job and send you the result. I'm practically halfway now. And I have some spare diskettes.

Collapse -
Kees I appreciate this special help.
by boyetsierra / April 8, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

Your absolutely right about not being able to buy it.I called a number of places and they all said download it from Toshiba.Like that's what I wanted to hear.YEAH RIGHT!!
Anyway I going to follow your instructions and hopefully I can get back to normal again.This Manual better be worth all this trouble I've caused everyone.
Thanks again Kees

Collapse -
Follow up on last message.
by boyetsierra / April 8, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

I just wanted to let you know that I just recently bought this unit completely Refurbished on Ebay.I needed a laptop to take with me on vacations and such.Didn't spend alot for it, but there's no User manual with it to help rookies like me.I need all the help I can get if you know what I mean. Take care. Kman

Collapse -
Hope you get it done.
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2006 7:29 AM PDT

If not, tell it here on the forum AND send me an email via the forum mail (click on my name below to find it). Put your own email-address in the text (it's not sure it's mentioned by cnet) and I'll mail you this 'online manual' after I made it from the file downloaded. It's no problem.

Collapse -
Sending the Manual
by boyetsierra / April 8, 2006 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope you get it done.

If you don,t mind then could you email me the Manual to my Email address.Thanks is the only way I can express my appreciation for everything. Kman

Collapse -
Nearing the end now.
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2006 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Sending the Manual

I've got something ready for you. It's a zip-file that I can mail. I see you can't mail me for some unclear reason, so if you put your emailaddress in a reply to this post I'll use that. Then I'll delete your reply, because it can attract spam and has served its purpose.

The instructions are:
- Make a new folder on your hard disk, say c:\manual (it's only temporary).
- Unzip the contents of my zipfile to that folder; it will be 20 files.
- In Windows Explorer, go to that folder and run install.exe (not install.inf). Choose install, and click OK when the program asks for disk #2 and disk #3.
- The program (it's an electronic book) will install (by default in c:\program files\toshiba) and there will be a shortcut to it in Start>Programs (in XP: Start>All programs). I you choose that the manual will open. I can't guarantee that it runs under Windows XP (but I think so), but it does in Windows 98.

Good luck with your laptop. Hope it will serve you.

Waiting for your post.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I sent it 2 hours ago. Should be in Canada by now.
by Kees Bakker / April 9, 2006 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sending the Manual
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?