Dell forum

General discussion

toshiba optical drive not working

by Dale Markel / March 21, 2009 11:21 AM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 1505 app.2 1/2 yrs old.Six months ago my
optical drive failed,it is a TSST Corp.DVD+RW TS-L632D.
The unit was maxed out at time of purchase with T 7400 dual core
,2 gi.ram large graphic card,160 hard drive.
I can play and record CDs but canot burn.It will not play a DVD,it just chatters.Wmp does not reconize the drive as any other software is the same.
I have completly reformated my hard drive and reinstalled back to original state using Dell disc.The unite is great but still same problem with DVD drive.I have no problem with micro flight sim loading as well as some other games.Have cyberlink power DVD still not working.I have tried many fixes from other forums,no luck.
thanks for any help! drmarkel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: toshiba optical drive not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: toshiba optical drive not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
toshiba optical drive not working
by The-Predator / March 26, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

Dale,

If memory serves me, Dell released a firmware update for the drive to address a few issues with it. Please jump over to Dell`s site, enter information for your system and hopefully you should fine the update.

Best Regards,
Jeff (Dell-Predator)

Collapse -
l632D for Dell Inspirion 6400 E1505
by terwong / April 4, 2009 4:45 PM PDT

I have the same problem with the DVD drive; certain DVDs work and CDs are ok, but there are DVDs that when put in act exactly as described above.

I downloaded latest driver fr Dell for L632D drive. It does not work. any other advice would be appreciated.

Collapse -
L632D Drive
by The-Predator / April 9, 2009 12:52 AM PDT

Terwong,

This drive did not fair very well. If the Dell firmware did not help and you are under warranty, please contact Dell. Explain the problem and the fact that the "Dell" firmware did not solve the problem. Normally Dell will replace the drive.
If out of warranty, two options; Google Firmware Forum and see if they have a "better/improveed firmware" or since optical drives are very inexpensive these days, almost cheaper in the long run (time wise) to replace it.

Jeff

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!