Computer Help forum

General discussion

Toshiba Notebook not recognizing DVD-ROM drive!

I have a Toshiba U305-7467 running Vista Premium Home Edition SP1 and yesterday I turn it on to see that I have no optical drive listed in my computer. I go to device manager, and there's no optical drive their either. This is not the first time this has happened, the first time I had to delete my upper and lower filters in the dvd drive registry. It seems that alot of these issues started after updating to SP1 version of Vista. Im at a loss, i was going to just go back to factory, but i would need the drive for that, and i read rebooting from a usb optical drive is a nightmare...I need help! any ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Notebook not recognizing DVD-ROM drive!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Notebook not recognizing DVD-ROM drive!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you remove the filters again or not

In reply to: Toshiba Notebook not recognizing DVD-ROM drive!

I can't tell if you did that. It's a common issue that we all wish Microsoft would nail down.

As to booting from said drive, unless someone tweaked the BIOS or the drive has failed horribly it should work fine.
Bob

Collapse -
removed filters

In reply to: Did you remove the filters again or not

When I went back to the registry, only the lower filters had reappeared. I removed them, but nothing. Oh might i add that the first time this happened, the device manager still could see he drive but it was not appearing in the my computer view. It showed an error that helped me find the solution that i used the first time around.

Collapse -
Then time to try boot from dvd.

In reply to: removed filters

No model number so I can't look at the history of said model. Those Pentium 4 units are famous for this issue but I must admit I can't find the model we are talking about.

Make sure the bios is set to show the drive. And if the bios can't see it, windows won't either. Reloading the OS will not make this drive issue go away.

What would I do? I'd pop the drive out and back in (no battery or AC please!) Then I'd try another new drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Had exactly the same problem and this worked

In reply to: Then time to try boot from dvd.

DVD drive disappeared on Toshiba U305-S7467. Followed first part of these great instructions: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/toshiba-satellite-u305/remove-laptop-keyboard-1.htm
It shows how to remove the memory cover, remove one screw in the lower left, and push out the DVD drive with a small screwdriver. There is a small thin metal bracket that attaches the drive - with one screw. The problem was that the small bracket had bent slightly outward, about 1/32". Removing the two screws that holds on the connector and bending it back straight, reattaching and reinserting the drive worked. BIOS now recognized the drive and the Windows did the same. Just a bent bracket!

Collapse -
Link please.

In reply to: Toshiba Notebook not recognizing DVD-ROM drive!

I admit I can't find that model on the USA Toshiba page. How about you sharing a link to it?

Collapse -
model number correction...add a s

In reply to: Link please.

im sorry its the toshiba satellite U305-S7467, and it has a core 2 duo T5450 processor, centrino config, bluetooth, abgn wireless, and a dvd-rw that doesnt work...ha

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.