Laptops forum

General discussion

toshiba m35

does the m35 being sold at best buy come with 2x256 or 1x516? i've heard many people getting the 1x516 but the toshiba webcites says that model comes 2x256?
im looking to buy this notebook by the end of the week. it seems like many people are pleased with it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: toshiba m35
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: toshiba m35
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: toshiba m35

In reply to: toshiba m35

You can't always trust what the prebuilt specifications say. I bought a prebuilt Compaq X1360US (X1000 series -- same as HPZT3000 series -- very similar to Toshiba M35 but doesn't have the Trubrite LCD and it has 32mb or 64mb ATI video not Nvidia) and it also stated 2 256mb RAM modules (which means it would be full) but I found out recently when doing a memory test (HP had a defective memory recall) that only had 1 512mb RAM module.

So I upgraded and added a 2nd PC2700 Kingston memory stick to my notebook last weekend from Fry's Electronics (89 - 20 rebate = 69) -- price good through 8/17.

If you order the Toshiba M35 (M30) custom online you get a 10% discount from Toshiba and then you could insure you get the 1 RAM stick .... but otherwise check the RAM slots when you receive the notebook.

Collapse -

are there any difference with the m35s that say special edition on the top of the screen? i cant remember if all of the ones i've seen have said that or not but i know i've seen it.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: toshiba m35

The only recent change I am aware of is the M35S456 (prebuilt Pentium M Dothan 1.7 with DVD burner multiformat) has the new Trubrite LCD wheras the older models (like the Pentium 1.5 Banias -- 1/2 L2 system cache M35S320) did not have the Trubrite LCD.

Collapse -

If you go to the circuit city website and choose notebooks and put in Centrino (Pentium M) for the cpu in the filter you will get the Toshiba M35S456 there. It is on sale for $1850 (regularly 1999). Best buy had it for this price last week but now it is off.

The 5th consumer review down stated they got 1 512mb RAM stick also (instead of 2 256mb modules) so that would allow you to upgrade the RAM.

Collapse -

Dont buy th toshiba if you need a unit with customer service. Buy a dell or gateway the tech support is terrible with toshiba

Collapse -

Dell tech support is no better than Toshiba and Gateway is actually retracting its business. They closed all their retail stores and that is why Best Buy is selling all the left over inventory from those stores.

The 2004 (around March) Consumers Reports ratings on notebook reliability and support showed Apple leading in both categories.

For the others, Toshiba was actually slightly better than the others but not by much.

Dell is outstanding for desktops but their notebooks do not have that reputation and in fact they are made overseas just as the Toshiba, HP/Compaq, etc are ....

The Toshiba M35 is a very popular Intel Centrino notebook (see customer reviews at Circuitcity.com) and the new Trubrite LCD makes it even more attractive.

The only negative thing I have found out with Toshiba warranty service relative to HP/Compaq (I got a Compaq X1360US -- see X1000forums.com -- similar notebook in size and weight to Toshiba M35) is that Toshiba will supposedly not replace your notebook within the warranty period if you have a significant failure or lemon (motherboard, etc). HP/Compaq has the policy to give you a new replacement notebook (sometimes with better features) if you have several significant repair issues under warranty.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.