Computer Help forum

Question

Toshiba Laptop L300D

by wowits / January 6, 2014 1:00 AM PST

My Toshiba Laptop L300D shut down installing updates on Windows 7. When I tried to restart it the screen is blank, I can hear the hard drive running, I have tried to start in Safe Mode, but nothing comes on screen. Help.
wowits

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Laptop L300D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Laptop L300D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How blank is the screen?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba Laptop L300D

If nothing, that's a bad sign. I usually have to remove the HDD to help the owner salvage files they didn't backup.

But do try the usual Generic Reset noted in the welcome sticky in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting Forum first.
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba Laptop L300D
by wowits / January 6, 2014 2:00 AM PST

The screen is totally blank. I have tried the Generic reset thank you, with out any luck. The Hard Drive is running when I toddle F8 to go into safe mode I can hear things happing but nothing comes on screen. Is it possible that the screen has failed? I have two Toshiba recovery discs, when I run them things sound to be happening but again nothing on screen.

Collapse -
Since there is no screen whatsoever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 5:49 AM PST

I'd try an external LCD and consult the manual about what Function keys to use to switch to the external. And hope. But the no display is a bad sign.
Bob

Collapse -
Toshiba L300D
by wowits / January 6, 2014 8:32 PM PST

Hi Bob Sorry I posted wrong information, my system is Vista Home Premium. ( Senior moment ). If that makes any difference.
wowits

Collapse -
Answer
Check into...
by Willy / January 6, 2014 5:44 AM PST

You should try the Win7 repair disc approach, NOT the recovery mode one. If you can connect a ext. monitor and see if anything appears then. You can look at an angle to the laptop screen(very close) and with flashlight on screen see if you notice a faint display. If nothing appears then the update hosed the proper booting and/or was interrupted if NOT AC powered and lost battery if so done. I hope it stated it was done and needed a reboot, you didn't manually do this unless instructed. What does Toshiba offer in its support website of possible return to previous status? This is important if you interrupted the update, even if appears to fail or show nothing during the install, just give it time, sometimes that's all it needed to finally display something. If this was a SP update that often makes blank screen until it completes or posts something. I suggest now, simply boot as normal and leave it for 15-30min. it maybe trying a recovery during its blank display, just try it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Toshiba L300D
by wowits / January 6, 2014 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Check into...

Hi Willy I posted the wrong information, my operating system is Vista Home Premium. (senior moment ). When I closed down it said updates to install do not switch off, it will close down after installing. It was the following day before I tried to use my computer again.
wowits

Collapse -
Same info applies...
by Willy / January 7, 2014 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Toshiba L300D

You need the Vista repair disc and retry it all again. If you know someone that has Vista, allow them to create one for you or either 32 or 64bit type. Some online free source may also be available still, just google away, but scan before use of any files you download.

You can try a "live version" of Ubuntu Linux just to see if it actually tries to boot then. Create a bootable disc from the .ISO file. Can you see anything, maybe the bios display? If not, then it got hosed at a low level of operation or you have some real h/w fault that just cropped-up at that moment, it happens.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Toshiba L300D
by wowits / January 9, 2014 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Same info applies...

Hi Willy Thanks I will try both
wowits

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?