Laptops forum

General discussion

toshiba laptop freezes when plugged in

The type of laptop is Toshiba satellite A205-s5800
model#PSAF3u-0nQ015. The computer works fine when unplugged and running on battery alone, but once plugged in while on, after a while the pc freezes and powering off with the power button is the only thing that works.(in essence, if charged before turning on it works well. Initially i thought maybe it was the operating system, so i upgraded from windows vista to windows 7 but the problem still exists.
About a year ago i changed to a universal charger because my original charger got damaged. I was told by a pc tech that its possible that too much current was delivered to the laptop by the universal charger and hence resulted in the current problem. He suggested that perhaps changing the graphic card would solve the problem, however this dont seem quite logical so I'm looking for a second opinion, since i have already wasted money on another technician for upgrading to windows 7. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: toshiba laptop freezes when plugged in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: toshiba laptop freezes when plugged in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.

In reply to: toshiba laptop freezes when plugged in

Collapse -
toshiba laptop problem

www.computerrepairshops.co.uk/hardware-support-london.html
replace battery,powersupply...or no other go...a reflow should do...

Collapse -
Toshiba laptop Freeze

Most of the laptops face the problem with the residual charge storage. Residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips. If the voltage of residual charge reaches threshold then the system will not be able to access the RAM chips. If the system is not able to access the RAM chips then the system will not be able to boot. To bring the laptop back to working state, you will have to discharge the residual charge stored. To clear the residual charge, shut down the laptop and disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Release the button and replace the battery. See if the problem persists.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.