Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba Laptop crash.. can I clone hard drive?

by pmartin02 / March 4, 2009 10:55 PM PST

My Toshiba Satellite A55 S1065 crashed. The hard drive started clicking last night. I have ordered a new hard drive. How do I clone the old hard drive to the new one so I dont have to re-install windows?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba Laptop crash.. can I clone hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba Laptop crash.. can I clone hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cloning is excellent . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2009 11:10 PM PST

but only if the drive is working and will boot normally. If you can still boot up and run normally, put the new drive into an external USB-2 case, install the software for cloning (should come with the new drive, free), and clone away. I've done it more times than I can count on both desktops and laptops.

Collapse -
I cant
by pmartin02 / March 5, 2009 2:34 AM PST

boot up the computer right now with the old drive. All it does is come up with a black screen and tell me of some error. By putting a new hard drive in, will that save my computer? Is the problem deeper than that? What are some options of getting the stuff off my old drive and onto a new one? Is there a way to take the laptop with the bad drive and somehow hook it up to my desktop to get the info off of it?

Collapse -
I think that you...
by 1shado1 / March 5, 2009 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: I cant

...may be SOL. If the drive is toast, I think the only way to retrieve any important data is to take it to people that specialize in such things. It is my understanding that these services cost from hundreds to thousands of dollars. That's why it is a good idea to backup any important data. After a crash is a little too late.

I COULD be mistaken, and hopefully someone more in the know will chime in.

Collapse -
You might save it . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 5, 2009 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: I cant

if you can access it. The only way to access a failed drive is to put the drive as a slave in another computer or into an external USB case. If, and only if the drive is usable might you access your data. But only if the drive can be seen by the host computer.

Putting a new drive into the laptop will do nothing until you install an operating system on the drive. Then, back to the USB case.

Your only option at this point is to remove the drive and put it into an external case. Then plug it into a working computer. If the computer can see the drive either in My Computer or Explorer then you may be able to save your "stuff".

And this is where we learn to back up what we can't afford to loose.

Collapse -
So if I
by pmartin02 / March 5, 2009 9:00 PM PST

put a new hard drive in and use my recovery disk will that make my laptop work again? Or will I need to buy windows and all those programs as well?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, that should work.
by Coryphaeus / March 6, 2009 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: So if I
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!