Laptops forum

Question

Toshiba laptop Blank Screen, Restarts When I Bend Screen

by pedroj012 / June 10, 2011 4:15 AM PDT

Toshiba A205-S5000 Laptop running Vista

Most of the time the screen remains blank when I turn it on - the rest of the laptop seems to work though (I hear things buzzing and whatnot)

No flicker or anything - just completely blank.

Sometimes the screen will come on and the computer seems fine, but when I bend the screen at all forward or backwards a blue screen comes up and it restarts.

The error messages that come up change every time, so I don't think they are relevant...but I can list them if someone thinks they will help.

External monitor doesn't help when the screen is blank...works fine when the screen works.

People have told me probably the motherboard. Or maybe an exposed wire to the screen is short circuitting other things.

I am willing to open the laptop up and look around, but obviously I'm not super savvy.

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba laptop Blank Screen, Restarts When I Bend Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba laptop Blank Screen, Restarts When I Bend Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
At the top of this forum are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

Sticky posts about general troubleshooting and a lot about disassembly of toshiba units.

My thought is that you should disassemble it and watch carefully for possible cables with exposed copper (easy to fix!) and more.

Button it back up and hope. Motherboard tend to run as much as a new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Aspire Netbook Blue Screen after Starting the system
by lholland65 / June 10, 2011 10:47 PM PDT

After I start the system, I can see the Windows and when it gets to the viewing the desktop my screen is blue. I have added an external monitor and that does not work as well.

Collapse -
Having given a few ideas
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 5:44 AM PDT

I wonder if you needed more than these ideas on what to do to look for the causes. Some jump into the troubleshooting forum and hope to find anything that does not involve what the shops and repair centers will do. In this case the suspect problem is likely to be what I noted or bad boards.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.