TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Toshiba DLP Color Wheel

by jhaehle / November 5, 2007 2:57 PM PST

I have a two year old Toshiba DLP 62HM95. I had to replace the lamp after about a year of use. That was no problem. I am now experiencing some other issues with the tv. I am not sure exactly what is wrong.

When I turn the tv on it makes a loud buzzing noise as it gets going. I'm thinking this could be a fan or possibly the color wheel. Once the tv gets going the noise quiets down a little, but you can still hear a slight humming or buzzing noise while the tv is on. The picture is also starting to fade a little while the tv is on and then it will go in and out of normal brightness every so often.

When I turn the tv off after a while it continues to make the slight humming or buzzing noise for a few minutes then completely shuts off.

The tv has a quick restart feature which allows the fans to run a little while after the tv is turned off. This allows you to turn the tv back on right away if desired without restarting all the fans. When I turn the quick restart feature off I do not hear any humming or buzzing noise when I turn the tv off.

Could my problem be solved by installing a new lamp or is it more likely a fan or the color wheel?

If it is a fan or color wheel problem (any suggestion as to which is greatly appreciated) approximately what are the repair costs for those issues?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba DLP Color Wheel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba DLP Color Wheel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can't hear the color wheel...
by masterying01 / November 5, 2007 3:10 PM PST

the problem your having is a fan problem. when was the last time they were dusted? take some compressed air and spray the dust AWAY from the fans. make sure all the fans are working and you're all set.

Collapse -
You can hear the color wheel IF!!!!
by jcrobso / November 6, 2007 12:58 AM PST

The bearings are going bad!!! Hopefully yours is just a fan problem. John

Collapse -
Toshiba Color wheel
by dupa2kulic / December 8, 2007 5:38 AM PST

That is what happen to my Toshiba, first the picture was getting dark, darker and out, so I got a lamp on Ebay for $150.00. Picture is great again. Noise or hum still there, it finally went out it is the color wheel, $1,600 for it plus labor and travel time. And Toshiba does not make the 72 in any more. I bought the unit in Jun 06, wheel went out next month, they gave me anothe runit in Sep 06, now this color wheel went out??????? Toshiba offered no help, they just said well it past the warranty. Damm for $1600 you could at least give me o, it would cost you less. No more Toshiba more me.

Collapse -
color wheel
by smkonrad / January 8, 2008 12:33 AM PST

we have the same tv was bought in 05/06 had to have the repair man out the 1st year for poor pic and the tv was doing funky things. the bulb was replaced in 07/07 and then in 12/07 the tv started acting very strange the color went nuts. i kept adjusting the contrast and tint ect. trying to get the color correct. then everthing wanted to get dark and and go green. now it is making noises and starts rolling. I spoke to toshiba they said a firmware kit and new bulb would fix the problem. never received software. Spoke with a manager at customer service whom told me these would not help the tv would just be a waste and that since it was 6 mos out of warranty there was nothing toshiba would do to help out with the cost. now i am going to have to spend money who knows how much to fix it. after readinghow much the color wheel costs it would be cheaper to buy a new tv. I am thinking class action lawsuit at this point. there seems to be alot of people out there with problems like ours and toshiba refuses to standf buy their product. I know all about disposable items in life but when the average consumer has to spend several thousand dollars every year in a half to replace or fix a tv that is not disposable to me!! I am not the ones getting rich off of this toshiba and the repair centers are. any comments i would love to hear from you

Collapse -
TOSHIBA FANS,COLOR WHEELS, LAMPS
by stewart norrie / January 8, 2008 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: color wheel

I own the Toshiba 72HM195 and after 2 years The only problem I had was the lamp blew after 3 months Toshiba sent me an updated lamp in 2 days I was told that old lamp was factory defective and extended lamp warrenty an extra year Yes I can hear color wheel reve up and you can hear slight fan sound but so far so good What sold me on this t.v. was the huge screen size and blue ray movies look as good as any movie theater in town If this monster ever has a major problem I would go with a 110 " front project set upYou just cant get that movie theater experience with tiny screen sizes ha ha good luck to you all stewee

Collapse -
JUST SENT MINE TO SHOP FOR NEW COLOR WHEEL
by 249junk / January 22, 2008 3:35 AM PST

Looks like I got bit by the color wheel bug as well. It has been getting progressively louder and I natually started by removing the lamp and cleaning the fans. No help. Service guy walked in and said they see this alot. It is the color wheel bearings and eventually, it will just stop altogether. So, off to the shop for an unspecified amount of time for about $800. $350 of that is service and $450 of that is parts from Toshiba. No extended warranty either - shame on me. Very common problem with this model - shame on them. Anyone know how to find out what the current version of firmware is?

Collapse -
same problems
by ronbiedrzycki / December 5, 2009 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: color wheel

Yes I had to replace a bulb, now a few months later my picture is all messed up. Colors glow on the screen, anything red or orange glows. And peoples skin glow. I've adjusted the contrast down which helps a little but its garbage. Now they don't even make a DLP anymore. I asked why to many problems, and they said no we just upgraded to better technology. Crap. Class action lawsuit I'm in.

Collapse -
Colors glow/ face flat
by joliger / February 7, 2010 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: same problems

I think your problem is that replacement lamp you installed. I had exactly the same problem when I replaced my lamp with a lamp off the internet that was an aftermarket replacement and not a genuine Toshiba part. I think if you buy the real Toshiba oem lamp, your problems will be solved. Mine were!

John

Collapse -
glowing brights/blotchy skin tones
by Pucky22 / October 17, 2010 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: same problems

I know this is a year old but did you figure out the problem? I also can fix it by dropping color, brightness, contrast below 40 but of course the picture sucks now. Anything will help--it's a 62HM195.

thanks!

Collapse -
color wheel
by paeder / November 11, 2009 6:40 AM PST

I have owned my Toss-iba for 3 1/2 yrs. Have replaced 6 lamps in addition to the factory freebee, I am on my 3rd light engine, your color wheel motor is going bad. I just had the color wheel disc shatter, Toss-iba said to buy a new Light engine,it's only $850.00, so far my set cost me more than the $2300.00 to buy it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?