Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba crummy laptop computer - stay away!!i

I too own a Toshiba and have had the same experience. They finally, after
months of arguing with them about repairing it, replaced the hard drive on
my Toshiba Pro Satellite 6100 (a $2,200 laptop) and now today it has
apparently burnt out again. I will call them and I am sure I will only hear
how they are out of warranty and how I will have to pay to fix it.

Until I saw your complaint on Complaints.com, I did not know anything about
the law suit by the states, but I will look into it now.

Thanks for sharing your nightmare with Toshiba and I hope to tell all of my
friends about this scam too.

I felt then, as I now do even more so, that this was not limited to my
single laptop but rather part of a bigger scam. I will look into it and see
if there is anything else we can do to remedy this rip off by them. Perhaps
bringing those jobs back to the USA and not outsource them to Istanbul
Turkey, would be a start since we have no recourse on people in Turkey.

Thanks again and I wish you well in a campaign to stop any sales we can for
this scamming lying cheating company.

Dave Capper
dave@davecapper.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba crummy laptop computer - stay away!!i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba crummy laptop computer - stay away!!i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few more details?

In reply to: Toshiba crummy laptop computer - stay away!!i

How old is this laptop?

Collapse -
Toshiba crappy customer service for crappy laptops

In reply to: Toshiba crummy laptop computer - stay away!!i

After 6 months of hastles, I want to add my story to the list. I had purchased a Satellite 5205-S119 in December 2003. I had an extended warrantee from a previous computer that I applied to this laptop, which expired in April 2005. In January 2005 (coincidently 13 months after purchase, just after the standard warrantee would've run out) the hard drive crashed. From the day I bought the computer the wireless card never worked either. I finally broke down to get both problems fixed.

I received back my laptop but the wireless card was still not working. Also, the computer crashed multiple times an hour. I returned the unit only to have them replace the system board, cpu, memory, hard drive (2nd time), and wifi boards replaced. Upon return, there was no change. The unit continuously crashed and the wifi didn't work at all. So I asked about replacing the unit but was told a "senior engineer" needed to look at it and they needed to verify it was not functioning.

This time they replaced only the system board (2nd time in a row). when I called after this third repair failed to fix any problems, I was given yet another round. By now, I had spent 5 months and my warrantee had expired, wasting multiple months at Toshiba for repair. I had inquired about this situation and was told they would extend my warrantee for the time that my computer was at Toshiba for repair. I was also told that if they failed to fix the problem they would replace the unit. I called after receiving the unit back and was told that they would not replace the unit, that they would not extend my warrantee, and that the managers of the customer service and customer relations departments "do not take calls." Since my unit was within 30 days of repair, they took it back yet again, replaced the wifi again (2nd time for that, 3rd unit that had more than one replacement).

They ran it through tests and found nothing wrong. I spoke with their "engineer" and their test protocols were completely unrealistic and didn't come close to simulating situations that would normally be encountered that could account for any failures. I contacted them after receiving the laptop and was told my warrentee was over and I would have to pay for any service they could provide.

Stay away from Toshiba. The customer support can't fix anything and will give you a run-around. I sent in a complaint and never heard back from them. All I got from them was a faulty computer that still crashes with a completely non-functioning wi-fi card, and 6 months of hastle and run-around from the tech support.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.