Laptops forum

General discussion

Toshiba A75-S229

by mandarshirgaokar / October 13, 2004 11:49 AM PDT

Hi,
I was looking to buy the new Toshiba A75-S229 Pentium

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Toshiba A75-S229
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Toshiba A75-S229
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Toshiba A75-S229
by KenSanramon / October 13, 2004 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba A75-S229

The shared video memory would be an issue if the server is hosting video clips, etc I guess but otherwise if mostly doing processing perhaps it is fine. Hyperthreading allows the processor to run a bit faster while multitasking so this may also be beneficial on a server.

A Pentium M cpu is designed for a notebook to have the most efficiency with wi-fi usage and battery life (and to generate less heat) versus a Pentium 4M cpu. A server is always going to be plugged in and you want it to run at full processing power if it is hooked up to the the web or a network. A Pentium M cpu throttles down to a lower cpu mhz speed to conserve power and only ramps up to full speed when needed.

I have no idea why you would want to use a notebook primarily as a server --- you would be better off with a desktop. But at any rate, I would not recommend a Pentium M Centrino for your purpose but I do recommend it for most notebook users (except extreme gamers and true desktop replacement users who want a 17" LCD and don't care about thickness, weight, and heat).

Note that many desktops have 4 memory slots and you can upgrade from shared video memory to dedicated by adding a video card to an open slot at anytime. A Notebook only has 2 memory slots and the video memory is not upgradeable (at least for the normal user and also not for an affordable price after the sale either).

Collapse -
by mandarshirgaokar / October 14, 2004 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Toshiba A75-S229

hi KenSanramon,

Thanks for your reply. As I told you, I would be using it for development/Testing purposes. I do not plan to host it on the web or network. I had some problems installing the server. It used to crash bcos of low memory(512mb). I am looking out for a laptop which can give me power to install it and allow me run many processes on it. I will be the only person accessing the laptop, no other users.
Do you suggest me to go for Toshiba M35-XS329 or Toshiba A75-S229 or any other laptop. I am going for a laptop bcos I want to use it at my workplace too.

please advice me on this,

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Mandar

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 14, 2004 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Toshiba A75-S229

I am not a hardware notebook expert but as I said the Pentium M (Centrino) notebook is beneficial if you will use it on the road and unplugged (battery not A/C) alot but if you will have it plugged in all the time (using as a server) then the Pentium 4M would probably be better.

You can tell a Pentium M (Centrino) notebook to act as a desktop so the unit does not throttle down the cpu mhz so if you will be using this for multiple tasks and travel do consider a Centrino.

You could check out the dedicated forum and ask your question in the Technical area of X1000forums.com -- I have a Compaq X1360US but the HPZT3000 and Compaq X1000 are the same notebook. This is a 15.4" widescreen Pentium M weighing 6.5 pounds and it does have 64mb dedicated video memory.

So, join the forum there (free) and post your question and some of the people who are using their notebooks for this purpose may have a more specific notebook model for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.