General discussion

toshiba 740E handheld PC problems with hard reset & battery

The unit had problems that could not be revolved despite being sent back 3 times (a 4th time if you include the recall). Toshiba could not fix the problem and refused to offer further support.

Problems:
- The unit intermittently hard resets for no apparent reason. It has done this at least 35 times).
- The battery completely discharges in <12 hours after being fully charged, even though it is turned off. There is no warning that the battery is low.

Opinions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: toshiba 740E handheld PC problems with hard reset & battery
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: toshiba 740E handheld PC problems with hard reset & battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: toshiba 740E handheld PC problems with hard reset & batt

This series has a bad reputation. As such, it's best kept in its charger whenever possible.

One of the issues with it is that the buttons tend to get "hit" and it wakes up and discharges quickly. Even on a full charge, it can drain the battery in just a few hours.

The issue is worsened by the supplied case. People have noted that using another case or even gluing felt pads in just the right spots of the holder helps immensely.

Bob

- Collapse -
You are not alone.....

Almost the same experience. Maybe a class action suit in the making.

- Collapse -
Count me in

I agree... the power management on this handheld stinks. And it CONSISTENTLY makes me lose data. (I do backups like you wouldnt believe). This HHD stinks compares to even my old Palm III!

- Collapse -
Problems with toshiba 740e PC with hard reset and battery

If so many people are having problems with this what is the solution to this problem.

I was looking for some info for a GPS for my 740e and saw this. It has happened to me about 3 times and I just thought I did something wrong. Now I see I'm not the only one.

Pleae advise,

Terry Fowler

CNET Forums