HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Torrent downloading is a mess, can some one help

by SamdarshXpress / May 26, 2008 6:43 PM PDT

I am using a 75kbps connection. I get a normal download speed of 10kbps.
It's been a month now that i am downloading from torrent sites, bt all torrent downloaders are giving only bad results.I have tried uTorrent 1.7.7 and uTorrent 1.8; both give speed of 8.5kbps for any file below 40mb, but when it comes to bigger files (100mb-700mb), their average download speed reduces to just 7.
I have even tried bittorrent, but it gives everything same as uTorrent.
In case of Azureus, there is a different problem. Whenever I download a torrent, it downloads, but the upload speed is just 100-500bytes/sec. So as share ratio decreases, its downloading is slower.
I have even tried bitcomet as well as bitlord, but none of them gave good speeds. So just i want to know that is there any other torrent software that is better than these all.
Or if can anybody help me to increase speed of uTorrent for bigger files. I have set upload as well as download limit of uTorrent to unlimited. The port is even kept between 50000 and 60000 as well as i have patched TCPIP.SYS.
Even the share ratio is 1.000.

At last i want to ask the recommended share ration of utorrent 1.8 beta and the torrent settings for the same.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Torrent downloading is a mess, can some one help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Torrent downloading is a mess, can some one help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: download speed
by Kees Bakker / May 26, 2008 6:49 PM PDT

Are you sure you don't confuse kiloBITS per second and kiloBYRES per second? Connection speed is usually given in bits per second. Download speed in bytes per second. That's a factor 8 between them (8 bits in a byte).

75 kilobits/sec giving 7 kilobytes/sec isn't so bad. And certainly not a mess. It's just a rather slow connection.

Kees

Collapse -
it is 75 kilobytes/sec connection
by SamdarshXpress / May 27, 2008 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: download speed

the connection speed which i have opted for is 75kilobytes/sec, and IDM and my browsers are giving a download speed of 9-10 kilobytes/sec.
utorrent gives just 7kilobytes/sec. I dont think that there should be such a big difference

Collapse -
Call your ISP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 12:35 AM PDT

Some limit P2P use or speed. Widely written about so see if your ISP is doing that.

Collapse -
No, ISP is not the problem
by SamdarshXpress / May 27, 2008 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Call your ISP.

My ISP is reliance and there is no such problem of limiting the speed as i am getting faster speed for some downloads and always slower for the bigger ones. I am using an unlimited free plan, and since noe no download problem is there to me, as if p2p was to be limited then there would be an effect on normal downloads also, and all p2p downloads must be slower then.

But can anybody suggest me the recommended share ratio of uTorrent so that i can get maximum download speeds.

Collapse -
Not necessarily...
by John.Wilkinson / May 27, 2008 9:43 AM PDT

Comcast and a few others limited download speed based on the type/source of the downloads, in what quantity you downloaded content, and the individual file sizes. Thus, the larger the files and the more frequently you downloaded files, the more they would reduce the download speed on a case-by-case basis. It's quite possible Reliance is doing something similar, particularly on a free plan.

Aside from the ISP limiting it, consider where you're downloading the files from. If you're in India (I believe) and the 'peers' are in the US or Europe the download speeds will not be nearly as fast due to the distance involved.

Perhaps download the files from the original creator's webpage instead of using a P2P network and see if that's faster?

John

Collapse -
"i am getting faster speed for some downloads and always
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 9:36 AM PDT

"i am getting faster speed for some downloads and always slower for the bigger ones."

This looks proper as the speed is set by HOW BITTORENT WORKS. I must decline explaining this in this small space but your complaint looks to be just that and nothing wrong.

Try discussion HOW BITTORRENT WORKS in discussions or asking around and it will become clear what's going on.
Bob

Collapse -
ISP is not the problem
by vinayak2971 / November 3, 2009 1:40 AM PST

The problem is you are actually messing up two things. Reliance Broadband has many plans, out of which 75kbps is the lowest plan for unlimited download. If you are getting a download speed of 7 - 10 KBps then its a good thing. Secondly, If you want more speed, then you can upgrade your plan to a higher speed plan like the one with 150 or 300 kbps. Now, Say if u take the 300kbps plan, then on an avg, you should get a total speed of (300kbps/8 = 37.5 KBps) since 1byte = 8 bits.

So, I would say, instead of sorting the problem in a wrong way, its better that you upgrade to a higher speed plan. I would suggest you to opt for 300kbps speed plan; Tariff pm is approx~750/-

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.