Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Tornadoes near Nashville -- Angeline???

by Josh K / April 7, 2006 7:51 AM PDT

Check in please when you can!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tornadoes near Nashville -- Angeline???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tornadoes near Nashville -- Angeline???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
She already emailed us
by TONI H / April 7, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

about a half hour ago to say she was shutting down and outta here.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Has she emailed since?
by Evie / April 7, 2006 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: She already emailed us
Collapse -
She's ok!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 7, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

Hi, Evie.

I just got off the phone with her, and she's fine, but a bit drained emotionally -- some of the towns that were very hard hit, with loss of life, are within 15 minutes' drive of her.

And if the Cezanne exhibit currently at the National Gallery happens to come to New York, be sure and see it -- it's an exhibit of a lifetime for Impressionist fans; over 150 paintings from dozens of museums from the Hermitage to Los Angeles and just about everyplace in between. And at the National Gallery, the show is free!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator (temporarily back home in DC again)
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very Happy to hear Angeline is OK...Thanks Dave.
by Rolway / April 7, 2006 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: She's ok!
Collapse -
Thanks for getting in touch with her.....
by Josh K / April 8, 2006 12:40 AM PDT

....and I'm glad to hear she got through it OK. It was a pretty bad outbreak from what I heard.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad to hear, thanks for letting us know.
by Evie / April 8, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wasn't too worried about Angeline,
by John Robie / April 8, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

as she lives next to the Cumberland river in Nashville. However, in Toni's post, ''...she was shutting down and outta here'', gave me some second thoughts...did she leave her home in Nashville?

My wife has brothers, sisters, and nephews living in and around Nashville, one sister also next to the Cumberland river. The tornadoes didn't hit in Nashville even tho one brother lives in Gallatin which was hit. All her relatives have no damage and are OK.

The main tornadoe disasters were in Sumner County N.E. of Nashville, and Warren County S.E. of Nashville, and also in Dickson County. Some suburbs of Nashville, like Goodletsville, Henderson, and Ashland City also received dammage.

Collapse -
Too close for comfoart
by Angeline Booher / April 9, 2006 2:19 AM PDT

I live outside Nashville proper, about 3 miles from Goodlettsville, so you know how close to Hendersonville, which was hit harder than Gooddlettsville, though it got its share. The tornado followed near Gallatin Road ( live a mile from it). One of those funnels crossed 1-65 and threw cars around. A tractor trailer was thrown on top of a car, and other skipped along each each side of Gallatin Road Volunteer State Community College was hit hard. One of the teacher's cars was blown across Gallatin Road (for others, a 4 lane highway with a turn lane) to the other side in a mangled heap. The cells on radar were right over me. Just no touchdown.

Sure glad your family was not involved.

No, I stayed home in my "safe" place for 4 hours. What made this system so bad was the super cells. Though there is a burm on the front of the house, and I live on the lower level, there is a lot of glass.

Nashville proper was hit in 1998. Joe was bed ridden, so I covered him with pillows and blankets, all I could do. The day after was his last trip to a hospital in Nashville proper. Police let the ambulance through the damaged areas, mostly debris. That tornado was not as disturning , as the path it was taking was fairly predictable. Not those Friday. So I was anxious.

Then the news in the morning was very depressing.

It's thought the suckers could have been at the minimum F3s as they demolished brick buildings, lifted cars into the funnels, etc. Lots more than missing roofs , metal roofs, and shattered windows.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Phwew! That does sound too close
by John Robie / April 9, 2006 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Too close for comfoart

Thought you were below the old Opera Land docks, but apparently you are above them.

Happy they missed your home and your family is ok.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Happy to hear good news of Angeline and family. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / April 8, 2006 7:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Natural disasters"
by MarciaB / April 8, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

So happy to learn that Angeline is fine.

I have never been in danger of a hurricane or tornado, but just hearing about them, their power, and the damage/deaths cause is enough to give me shivers, and a blessing or two said that we don't have those here.

Our primary cause for concern in regard to "Natural Disasters" in this area are the fights in the local pubs on Friday & Saturday nights Wink Much less of that now as 4 of the hangouts have closed down over the last few years, and in our little town that took care of about half of them!!

Collapse -
Isn't Oregon under Earthquake, Volcano, and Tsunami
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 8, 2006 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: "Natural disasters"

threat, Marcia? Or are you far enough inland those don't apply to you?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Oregon
by MarciaB / April 9, 2006 2:33 AM PDT

We live on the SE side of the Cascade range, so the Tsunami threat is non existent, and we are far enough away from any volcanic threats, except some fallout depending on the wind, to not worry about that much.

We do, however, have, on very rare occasions, some small tremors. Several years ago we had an earthquake that did some building damage in our closest city 100 miles SW from us. Also, about 2.5 years ago we had about 2 weeks where we had small tremors almost daily. Was truly freaking us out as this is so rare. It was shortly after I had bought our house, and I just knew it would collapse around us!! Happy

Actually, an earthquake here of some size would not be unheard of. We have, just a few miles North of where I live, a natural wonder of sorts: Abert Rim is the largest exposed geological fault in North America, and the second largest in the world. Abert Rim towers 2,500 feet above the valley floor in the Great Basin country of Eastern Oregon's high desert. It stretches 30 miles North to South. Abert Lake, one of the world's few remaining inland seas, is at the northernmost base of the rim.

So, I suppose with a "seismic history" such as what created Abert Rim, we could be considered a "bad spot" for a big one someday. It has been quiet for a very, very long time - a sleeping giant, if you will.

Here are a couple of decent pics of Abert Rim, although, as with most such vistas, pictures do not do it justice:
http://www.geocities.com/lakevieworegon/

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, all, for your concern.
by Angeline Booher / April 9, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.