Cameras forum

General discussion

Torn between cameras

by Luke Connolly / January 15, 2006 11:40 PM PST

I can't decide between the Canon A610 the Canon A520 and the Kodak V530. The A520 is cheaper than the rest, the V530 is smaller than the rest and has the fastest "continuous drive" (3fps), and the A610 has more manual functions than the rest. How much difference in picture quality is there between these cameras? Does anyone have one of these cameras or have any suggestions as to which one is the best all around camera for the money?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Torn between cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Torn between cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Eliminate one
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Torn between cameras

I would drop the Canon A520, as it has a long shutter lag. When Canon went from the A75/85 to the A510/520 cameras, they also went from 4 AA batteries to 2 AA batteries. This has resulted in a poor shutter lag of 0.9 second.

Collapse -
Now V530 vs A610
by Luke Connolly / January 16, 2006 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Eliminate one

Okay, so if I drop the A520 does the V530 or the A610 take better pictures? Is the A610 worth the extra size for the difference in quality?

Collapse -
Picture Quality
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Now V530 vs A610

To my eyes....the Canon A610 produces the best picture.

But you can see for yourself:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550_samples.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610_samples.html

I had to use sample photos from the V550 because there were none for the V530. But the only difference in the two cameras is the size of the LCD.

To see the difference in sharpness, compare the photos of the 2 1/2 story brick building. Expand the photos to 100% (do not go beyond 100%) and look at the clarity of the various street signs and be sure to look at the white numbers on the green dumpster.

"Is the A610 worth the extra size for the difference in quality".
Only you, can answer that question.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!