PC Applications forum

General discussion

Top Utilities

by Lysander2 / June 21, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

If you were a new computer user, and didn't want all the clunky applications: Norton, Windows Defrag, etc., what applications should one get to do and keep good maintenance on a Vista System???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Top Utilities
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Top Utilities
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Top Utilities

I would stay away from Registry Cleaners, System Optimizers, etc and find out how to do these things myself in forums like these.

Having said that, I would still employ anti-virus and anti-spyware, to keep the nasties out of my system, and utilities like the Windows Defragmenter is fine for me.

Mark

Collapse -
Why would I not use Windows Defrag?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2009 1:55 AM PDT

Works fine here. As to the anti-virus we have that covered in our Spyware forum.

I don't use anything else except CCLEANER and all is well.
Bob

Collapse -
Utilities
by SerengetiValley / June 22, 2009 2:44 AM PDT

What I currently use on XP. Ought to be the same for vista too.

Anti-virus: Avira Antivir, free edition. I switched from AVG to Avast to Antivir over the period of a few months recently. Seems to work very well. That said, I never caught any viruses even while I was using the other two. I run scans every weekend.

Anti-malware: Malwarebytes Anti Malware, and Super Antispyware. Both work nicely. I run scans every weekend.

Defragmenter: My favourite is always Diskeeper 2009. Set-and-forget and works perfectly. Unlike the above 3 programs, this one is not free.

Disk cleanup: Windows built-in or CCleaner. I've not found that much of a difference between the two, to be honest. In any case, do not use any of the registry 'cleaning' options built into Ccleaner.

HDTune. You can use this to benchmark drive performance and occasionally check up on the health of the drive. (note: NOT filesyste, but the harddrive itself).

Since you want lightweight, effective programs, I'll also recommend Opera as the web browser. It's been my primary browser for the past 8 years, and I wouldn't trade it for any other browser. Very fast, small footprint, highly customizable, and secure. Also free.

You can also try Foxit reader for a lightweight and full featured PDF reader. Less bloated than Adobe Reader.

And yeah, do not ever use any registry cleaners/optimizers!

Collapse -
Top Utilities
by Lysander2 / June 22, 2009 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Utilities

Thanks much

Collapse -
Diskeeper is a must...
by karo64 / July 15, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

If I were on a desert island with my system, I'd take Diskeeper with me! For defragmenting and ensuring that my system is running fast and efficiently, they do an outstanding job. It's not free but worth it.

Collapse -
top utilities
by printmatt / July 18, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

All you need is a good Antivirus/Antisypware (Nod32) and Tuneup Utilities.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.