Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Top Ten Ways to Destroy the Earth

by EdH / May 21, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

You've seen the action movies where the bad guy threatens to destroy the Earth. You've heard people on the news claiming that the next nuclear war or cutting down rainforests or persisting in releasing hideous quantities of pollution into the atmosphere threatens to end the world.

The Earth was built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily.

If total human genocide is your ultimate goal, you are reading the wrong document. There are far more efficient ways of doing this, many which are available and feasible right now. Nor is this a guide for those wanting to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, render Earth uninhabitable or simply conquer it. These are trivial goals in comparison.

This is a guide for those who do not want the Earth to be there anymore.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Top Ten Ways to Destroy the Earth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Top Ten Ways to Destroy the Earth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm surprised no one's interested in this...
by EdH / May 21, 2006 4:58 AM PDT

seemed like a natural for SE.

Collapse -
I just now read it, Ed,...
by Paul C / May 21, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

...and it is interesting.

Somehow, I suspect that someone will look at the #1 way and cry, "See! I told you about global warming!" Devil

Collapse -
What to say? ...
by Bill Osler / May 21, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

I'm not really anxious to put any of the processes to the test ... and in any event they struck me as impractical.

Collapse -
Which is a good thing...
by EdH / May 21, 2006 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: What to say? ...

the last thing we need is a practical method of destroying the earth.

I thought some people might have some creative new ideas about how to do it, or discuss whether it should be done or not.

Collapse -
Keep your panties on t0gO,
by duckman / May 21, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

the "experts" will chrip in when they get back.

Collapse -
Interesting list, EdH!
by Angeline Booher / May 21, 2006 8:28 AM PDT

When I think of "clouds" in the space that are said to be "exploded planets", I have to wonder why they exploded. We hear of "dying stars". perhpas from some other galaxy we look like a star.

Frankly, I have wondered when or if another giant asteroid will strike earth. Would it just do the same as it did to the dinosaus, create a winter in which little can live. or worse, could it knock earth out of it's orbit. (I don't know if that wold be possible.)

As it appears at this point in time, we are the only planet around our sun that supports life. We don't yet know if any of the others ever did in any form. Somehow ours landed in an orbit that is devoid of such noxious gases that exist on some of them (maybe all of them.)

Thanks, EdH. The list was interesting, thought he thought of being sucked into a black hole was disconcerting. Happy

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email

Collapse -
destroy earth
by einfopedia / April 3, 2012 8:12 PM PDT

I recently felt the need to know how to destroy our planet. I mean hey, you can find out just about anything on the Internet, why not look for something crazy every once and a while?
AdvertisementIt took me about 5 minutes to find the top 10 ways to destroy our lovely home. Turns out it is a lot harder to do than I originally thought!
One of the methods is to simply have no method. Just wait around, and hope that all 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms in our planet spontaneously cease to exist. What?! Yeah, its possible, but the chances are greater than a googolplex to one. Your chances of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning 15 times each, within the same hour, are exponentially better.

My favorite method on their list requires only a light bulb. Yes, theoretically you can destroy our planet with a stupid light bulb. This theory claims that the vacuum within a light bulb contains enough energy to boil every ocean in the world! The only reason nobody has tried this yet is because no one has figured out how to harnessthis energy. Once you figure that out, just store the energy in a power plant and let the reaction run out control. KABOOM! Goodbye, Earth.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?