Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Top 5 Motherboards

by TyroneB / February 22, 2005 11:36 PM PST

Hello all i am looking for the top 5 motherboards for my PC upgrade.

I currently will be using Intel 3.2 processor with 2 200 GB Hard drives. also a Plextor DVD-RW and a CD Burner and a CD Rom drive.

I will be using 1GB OCZ 2700 333 RAM i do not want to upgrade my ram at this moment.

ATX case just to add also I have AGP video card 128mb and I will be using a Delta 1010 PCI card this is a computer geared towards music.

What top 5 motherboard should i use?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
There is no such thing.
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2005 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Top 5 Motherboards

Go to http://www.tomshardware.com and http://anandtech.com and read about the available mobo's for your particular needs/use. There are many sutble differences in all,with slight varitaions that may just fit your needs.

Such as the RAID controller, some only support RAID, some support RAID or IDE [ATA], some support RAID, ATA and ATAPI. The RAID, ATA, ATAPI can be very useful for some users, such as this writer.

The ethernet controller can be gigabit in some and only 10,100 in others.

Lots of other minor variations.

Of the ones that I have used lately I liked ABIT because their manual is written in understanable English. I like Gigabyte [usually more costly] but their manuals are not that great and their tech support
replies in a day, but virtually can't understand what they write, or they simply repeat the info tin the manual that is still not very clear.

Collapse -
For me
by Yew / February 23, 2005 12:43 AM PST

I've always had good luck with MSI boards myself. Most people like Asus boards, and I believe Intel makes boards for their chips as well. I've only had one Gigabyte board in my life, it was a little lacking in features but otherwise no complaints.

Personally, I'd hit a few hardware review sites and start doing some homework. Finding a board that fits my budget, has the features I want, and all that fun stuff.

Collapse -
Hmm
by TyroneB / February 23, 2005 1:14 AM PST

Just looking for the basic... Not a Raid setup at all not when it comes to music that will not work well.

ATA hard drive setup

any help out there

Collapse -
The top five mobos cost far
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2005 2:21 AM PST

more than you require for such a system. I can't think of any modern mobo that WOULD NOT work just fine. They ALL have a Primary and Secondary IDE port, each of which can take two IDE/ATAPI devices. Now most will also take SATA drives, and you'll get RAID capability, needed or not, on any of the top line mobos.

Only other ponit might be that Intel chipsets do not support ATA 133, they stop at ATA 100 because they prefer SATA for the higher speeds. But they often make up for it by putting another IDE controller on board that supports ATA 133.

Why not do a little reading? Why take the input from people that you don't know. LOL Enjoy whatever you do.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!